- Chromium is an open-source browser project by Google, serving as the foundation for Google Chrome, which is susceptible to being altered by cybercriminals to create malicious versions known as Chromium viruses.
- The Chromium virus enters PCs through bundled software or spam emails, mimicking legitimate browsers to steal personal information and display ads, which can be detected by unusual browser behavior and settings changes.
- Removing the Chromium virus involves uninstalling suspicious browser extensions, the browser itself, deleting the browser's folder, or for MacOS users, removing the application and its data.
In the ever-evolving world of the internet, cyber threats exist wherever you go. One wrong button and thousands of viruses can infect your computer. With the increasing awareness of viruses and malware, these threats become more hidden than ever.
One of these sneaky viruses is the Chromium Virus. It often comes bundled with third-party open-source software and is often hard to detect with the naked eye. Fortunately, it is not difficult to get rid of this virus. This article will help you eliminate all chromium viruses and get your browsing experience back on track.
Table of Contents
- What is Chromium?
- Difference Between Chrome and Chromium
- What is the Chromium Virus?
- How Can a Chromium Virus Enter My PC
- Signs of Chromium Virus on Your Computer
- How to Remove Chromium Virus
What is Chromium?
Chromium is a legitimate browser developed and maintained by Google. It is the foundation of Google Chrome and is also available as open-source software for other developers. Open-source software has its pros and cons. While they provide a fast, safe, and stable environment for developers, their code can also be modified and distributed with viruses while using the original software name.
Because most people use Google Chrome as their primary browser, Chromium has become the target of most viruses. Hackers and Cybercriminals modify the code to hold viruses in the hopes that the legitimate name Chromium will let the viruses go unnoticed by the victim.
Difference Between Chrome and Chromium
Chrome is a browser developed by Google while Chromium is an open-source browser. Google uses chromium as a base with added features and services and is more directed towards the consumer and everyday user. Chromium on the other hand is more directed towards developers as it allows for modification in its source code to make it easy for developers to make their browsers.
What is the Chromium Virus?
The term Chromium virus is used to describe malicious web browsers that are created using the Chromium code. Cybercriminals use these browsers to overwrite the Chrome browser. Once the user installs them, they can replace shortcuts, display ads, and control your apps and extensions.
Additionally, they can also replace the search engine that directs you to fake websites, tricking you into giving away your personal information.
Such malicious viruses pretend to be useful browsers that claim to provide fast and easy access causing the victim to dismiss the possibility that they are a virus. Afterward, the browser then proceeds to steal all your personal information without you even noticing it.
How Can a Chromium Virus Enter My PC
Chromium viruses commonly enter bundled with different software or attached to spam emails. Since these viruses can easily sneak into your computer, you must be alert while installing any software, especially from a suspicious or non-trustable website. These browsers hide in advanced installation options or custom installation options during the setup of other trustable software.
Hence, always thoroughly review installation processes for hidden downloads and avoid clicking on files attached to spam emails.
READ MORE: What is Searchhost.exe Is it a Virus? ➜
Signs of Chromium Virus on Your Computer
At first glance, these chromium viruses look just like regular browsers, especially Google Chrome. But if you look with a sharp eye, some signs give it away. Following are some of the ways you can identify if you are using a malicious browser right now.
- Firstly, remember that the purpose of these viruses is often money. A substantial increase in ads and popups may indicate a compromised browser.
- Because these viruses need to fake websites to get your information, check if the default search engine of your browser has been changed.
- Look out for suspicious URLs. Fake URLs often have spelling mistakes, if you see anything fishy in the URLs it may be because you are using a fake browser.
- Check your task manager, if the browser is utilizing a high percentage of CPU. A sudden drop in PC performance and sluggish behavior can also be the cause of chromium viruses.
- If your search results show irrelevant websites, it may be because of the chromium virus.
How to Remove Chromium Virus
If there are signs that indicate the presence of a chromium virus then you must remove it as quickly as you can. Chromium viruses are extremely dangerous and are a genuine threat to your privacy and security.
Method 1: Remove Suspicious Extensions And Add-ons
Sometimes Chromium virus is just in the form of a browser extension or add-on. To remove suspicious add-ons:
- Open up the Chrome browser and tap on the three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- From there, click on Extensions and select Manage Extensions.
- Look for add-ons that seem suspicious or out of the ordinary and click on the Remove button to uninstall them.
Method 2: Uninstall The Browser.
Another way to get rid of the Chromium virus is by deleting the browser itself. Here’s how that’s done:
- Type the Control panel in the Windows search bar and open it.
- Click on Uninstall a program under the Programs tab.
- Right-click on the suspected browser or any other suspicious programs and click on Uninstall.
Method 3: Delete The Entire Folder
Sometimes the uninstall feature just refuses to work. Try force deleting the browser folder by following these steps.
- Run the browser and open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape. From there, click on “More details.”
- Right-click on the Chromium browser and click on open file location (You may need to click on the expand button first)
- From here, head back to the “chrome-win” folder and nd press shift+delete to force delete the folder.
Method 4: Remove Chromium For MacOS
If you are on MacOS the previous steps wouldn’t work. To remove the chromium virus from your system,
- Click on Finder present at the bottom left.
- Select Applications on the left menu that appears.
- Search your Chromium app on the search bar present at the top right.
- Right-click the application and click on “Move to bin.“
Chromium viruses are one of the most difficult viruses to detect for an average computer user as they mask themselves as legitimate browsers while doing all the fishy business behind the camera. Luckily the above-mentioned indicators and solutions will help you identify and get rid of these malicious viruses.
To force delete folders, click on them and press Shift+Delete. This deletes the files permanently and prevents them from restoring or going into the recycle bin.
Chromium viruses pose a significant threat to the overall security of your system including unauthorized access to personal information, data theft, malware, spyware, and financial loss.
Data recovery on an infected computer is difficult if not impossible. Most viruses try to hijack your data for a ransom. It is best to backup your data on the cloud to minimize the risk of losing data.