GIFs are a convenient method of capturing specific moments from a video, or even in general. A video file is not something we always want to send to use, given its bigger file size and other characteristics. As such, if there is a moment in a specific video that you would like to capture, you have the option of creating a GIF.
This will save you from the trouble of sending the whole video for the sake of sharing a memorable or funny scene. There are various you can ways you can create GIFs from a video file. For example, multiple online converters allow you to capture a GIF from an uploaded video file.
In addition, if you do not wish to upload the video file to third-party cloud servers, you can use the ScreenToGif application on your computer to create a GIF. Furthermore, it is not necessary for the video to be saved on your local computer. You can even use online converters to create a GIF from online videos as well by providing the video link.
1. Use ScreenToGif
The first way you can capture GIFs from a video is to use the ScreenToGif application. This will require you to have a local copy of the video you wish to use. If you do not have the video locally saved, move to the online video method below.
ScreenToGif is a free application that allows you to record your screen, edit and save it in various formats including GIFs. You can use the ScreenToGif Editor window to edit a video and capture a GIF from a specific portion. If you do not wish to download a third-party tool to your computer, skip this method.
This is quite simple to do. Follow the instructions below:
- First, you will need to download and install the ScreenToGif application on your computer. Head to the official website by clicking here to download the app.
- After installing the application, open it up by searching for it in the Start Menu.
- On the ScreenToGif Startup window, click on the Editor option.
- Then, click on the Load option below the menu bar and open the video file.
- After that, choose the portion of the video you want to capture as a GIF. Use the slider provided to do this.
- Then, click the OK button to import the video.
- If you wish to add text to the GIF, you can use the Image tab to do so.
- To save the imported portion of the video as a GIF, click on the Save as option on the File tab.
- At the top, choose Gif from the File type and preset drop-down menu.
- You can use the subsequent drop-down menu to choose the encoder preset.
- At the bottom, provide a location where you want to save the GIF file. Also, give it a name.
- Finally, click on the Save button to create the GIF.
2. Use GIPHY
If downloading a dedicated application for capturing a GIF from a video is not your cup of tea, you can turn to online converters. There are several online converters available that allow you to convert from video to GIF.
GIPHY is a famous GIF platform, and you can use it to capture GIFs from a video. This can also work for you if you do not have the video file locally saved as it allows you to import online videos as well via the video address.
Follow the instructions below to capture GIF from a video using GIPHY:
- First, open the GIPHY website on your computer.
- Then, click on the Log In option to sign in to your account. This is important as you have to log in before you are able to upload a video. If you do not have an account, create one using the Log In button.
- After you are signed in, click on the Create button.
- On the GIPHY Create page, click on the Choose File option under GIF if you wish to upload a video file from your computer. If you want to use an online video, such as a video from YouTube, copy the video address and paste it into the Any URL field.
- Then, use the start and end fields to choose your desired scene from the video.
- After doing that, click on the Continue to Decorate option.
- You can choose to add stickers or captions on the follow-up page. Click on the Continue to Upload button once done.
- Then, if you do not want the GIF to be public, turn the Public option to OFF.
- Finally, click on the Upload to GIPHY option to upload your GIF.
- Once the GIF has been uploaded, you can share it with your friends and even download it to your device.
3. Use Imgur
Imgur is another famous platform for sharing photos and GIFs on the internet. You can use Imgur to capture a GIF from a video file as well. However, Imgur only allows you to capture GIFs from online videos. This means you will not be able to upload a video file from your computer.
With that said, follow the instructions below to capture GIF from a video using Imgur:
- First, head to the Imgur website on your computer.
- Click on the New post option in the top-left corner.
- Then, click on the Video to Gif option at the bottom.
- After that, copy the video address and paste it into the field provided. Click the Submit button.
- Choose the Start time using the slider provided.
- Once you do that, move the slider to choose the End time for the GIF.
- Finally, click on the Create GIF option to create the GIF.
- Once the GIF has been created, you can use the three-dot menu above the GIF to download it.