A lot of people have encountered the 0x00000017 error code when playing Apex Legends. This error appears during startup it causes the game to crash while a message pops up on their screen with the error code’s name. This error is only reported to occur on PC.
After looking deeply into this problem, we’ve come up with a shortlist of causes that might trigger the 0x00000017 error on Apex Legends:
- Corrupted files – This error is in most cases caused by some corrupted files that are not letting the game work properly. You can fix this by verifying the integrity of the files through Steam or Origin, or you can reinstall the game.
- Interfering programs – People are reporting that this error could be also caused by some programs that are running in the background, interfering with the game. To fix this, you need to close all the programs that are running in the background from Task Manager.
- Outdated GPU drivers – The 0x00000017 error could also happen because your graphics card drivers are outdated. You can simply fix this by automatically updating the GPU from the Device Manager, or by using your GPU manufacturer programs.
- Outdated Windows – This issue might be triggered by your Windows, which is missing the latest updates. This is causing the game to not work properly, so this can be fixed by updating your Windows to the newest update available.
Now that you are aware of all the possible causes for this error, here’s a list of methods that will help you fix this error for your game:
1. Delete the corrupted files and verify the game’s integrity via Steam
The first thing you can try is to locate the file that the error tells you is affected by corruption. The corrupted files should be deleted, then you need to verify the integrity of the game’s files through Steam to restore the missing files. This process will repair the files that are causing this problem.
Note: This method is confirmed to work for a lot of Apex Legends gamers that were experiencing this issue while launching the game from Steam.
In case you don’t know how to delete the corrupted files and verify the integrity of the files, here’s how you can do it:
- The first step is to launch the Steam, then access the Library.
- Inside the Library, right-click on Apex Legends and click on Properties.
- After that, access the Local Files section from the upper side of the new menu and click on Browse Local Files.
- Now the file of the game should appear on your screen. Search inside the paks and vpk folders for the file that the error has suggested is corrupted, then delete it. In addition, delete the r5apex file as well.
- When the files are deleted, go back to the Apex Legends properties menu and click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Now, wait until the process is finished and the missing files will be restored.
- After that, launch the game once again and test it to see if you still encounter the 0x00000017 error code.
In case the error persists after this method, check below the second troubleshooting guide.
2. Close all the background programs
Players have reported that this issue could be caused by some background programs that are opened while you try to play the game. The programs could interfere with the game, not letting it work properly.
By going this route, you will be able to identify the background programs and processes that might interfere with the game and fix the issue by closing all the background programs that could possibly interfere with Apex Legends.
Here are the steps you need to follow in case you don’t know how to close all the programs through Task Manager:
- Press the CTRL + Shift + ESC buttons to open the Task Manager, or you can open it directly from the taskbar.
- After the Task Manager appears on your screen, go through the list of processes and locate the apps that are opened on your background, then right-click on them and click on End Task.
- After you do that to every program opened and close all of them, launch Apex Legends and test the game to see if the 0x00000017 error code still occurs.
If the same error still appears, go to the next method below.
3. Update your GPU drivers
The 0x00000017 error code could also happen because you are trying to play the game while your GPU drivers are outdated.
This scenario could be applicable to you for both Nvidia and AMD GPUs. You can automatically update the GPU from the Device Manager, or you can manually update it from your graphic’s card manufacturer application.
Note: This method is recommended if you get this error immediately after you attempt to launch the game. Most likely, you’re experiencing this error due to a missing physics model included with your GPU driver.
Here are the exact steps you need to follow to update your GPU, in case you don’t know how to do it:
- Open a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R, then inside the search bar type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter to open Device Manager.
- After you are inside the Device Manager, scroll down through the list until you find Display Adapters, then expend the drop-down menu associated with it.
- Now right-click on the GPU you are using and click on Update Driver.
- After you’ve done that, click on Search Automatically for updated driver software. Now you need to wait until the initial scan is complete, then follow the instructions to install the latest update, if available.
- Once the latest update is installed, reboot your PC and test the game after the computer boots back.
- In case you couldn’t update your GPU through Device Manager or the error is still occurring, you can also use the proprietary software according to your graphics card manufacturer to make sure that the newest updates are installed for your GPU model. Use the following applicable manufacturer according to your GPU:
GeForce Experience - Nvidia Adrenalin - AMD
- In case you discovered a new update with this application, restart your PC and test the game to see if the Apex Legends error 0x00000017 is still happening.
If you still encounter this issue on your game, go try the next possible fix.
4. Update your Windows installation
A few affected people have reported that this error could be also caused by your Windows missing the latest updates. This is happening because the game is not working as it should be. Fortunately, you can simply fix this by updating your Windows from your computer’s settings.
Note: As it turns out, Apex Legends is dependent on one of the latest infrastructure updates released for Windows 11. So if you are on Windows 11, don’t forget to ensure that you have every pending update installed.
Here’s the guide you need to follow in order to update your Windows to the latest update available:
- Press the Windows key + R buttons to open a Run dialog box and type inside the search bar ‘ms-settings:’, then press Enter to open the Settings.
- Now that you are inside the Settings, access the Windows Update section.
- After that, click on the Check for updates button to search for the latest updates.
- Install the latest updates found in case there are any. After that, reboot your PC and test the game after it boots back.
If the 0x00000017 error code still occurs, check the next method.
5. Repair the game via Origin (if applicable)
This error might be caused by some corrupted files that are interfering with the game. In case you are encountering this issue while playing on Origin, you can simply fix this by repairing the game through Origin’s repair function.
This process will check the integrity of all the files, and repair or restore them if there are any harmed or missing files.
In case you don’t know how to repair the game through Origin, here are the steps you need to follow:
- You need to start by opening Origin, the go and access My Game Library.
- Inside the My Game Library, click on Apex Legends and click on the Settings button (gear icon) from the newly appeared menu.
- Now you need to click on Repair to initialize the process.
- After the scan is complete and corrupted or missing files were found, they will be fixed or restored.
- Once you’ve done that, test Apex Legends to see if the error still occurs.
If neither of the methods before has helped you fix your error, check below the last one.
6. Reinstall the game
The last thing you can try in case none of the fixes before was helpful is to reinstall the game.
By doing this, all the corrupted files will be reinstalled and you should get rid of the 0x00000017 error on Apex Legends. You’ll need to do this from the Programs and Features menu, then install the game from the platform you choose to use.
Here are the steps you need to follow in order to reinstall Apex Legends:
- Open a Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R buttons, then type ‘appwiz.cpl’ inside the box and press Enter to open the Programs and Features menu.
- Once you are inside the Programs and Features menu, search for Apex Legends and right-click on it, then click on Uninstall.
- After the game is uninstalled, open the platform that you play the game on and reinstall the game.
- After the installing process is complete, launch the game to see if the 0x00000017 error still occurs.