The game crash issue in the Age of Empires 2 has been reported multiple times over online forums to seek support and guidance. The problem arises when the game won’t launch in Windows 10 without showing any specific error.
What Causes Age of Empires 2 Working Issue?
We have listed the causes of this problem after reviewing the user’s feedback and technical authorities in detail. This problem may arise due to any of the following reasons:
- Outdated Graphics Driver: Most of the time when a game fails, the main culprit behind this issue is your graphics card driver. You may be using a faulty graphics driver or it is outdated, which causes the game to crash.
- Old Game Version: Most programs/games created for earlier versions of Windows will work in Windows 10, however, some older programs might run poorly or not at all. It is because the old version of game content might not be compatible with the windows 10.
- Corrupt Game Files: We are all familiar with these that corrupt or missing game files can also cause your game to fail.
- Old Windows Version: Windows 10 is used by billions of people worldwide, but just like with many other operating systems, sometimes there are problems with older software. Speaking of old software, sometimes older games such as Age of Empires 2 won’t work on Windows 10.
Note: Some users reported that the Age of Empires 2 uses Safedisc for protection, and since Safedisc isn’t supported with Windows 10 you might want to find a digital version of the game.
Solution 1: Change System Virtual Memory Settings
- Click Start, search Control Panel, and open it.
- Select System.
- Now select Advanced System Settings.
- Select Settings option under Performance section in the Advanced tab.
- Choose the Advanced tab in the new window and click Change under Virtual Memory section.
- Now set the Custom size of 8000 and 20000 to Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) respectively. Click Set once done.
- Click Ok to close all the open windows.
- Restart your computer. Your problem should now be resolved.
Solution 2: Install UserPatch – Conquerors Feature Update
- Click Download to save the UserPatch v1.5 file on your PC from UserPatch: Conquerors Feature Update Webpage. (This will download a zip setup file in your Downloads folder)
- Open the downloaded file and double-click User Patch > SetupAoC.exe.
- Now select the features according to your preference and click Ok.
- Try running the game now. This should fix your problem.
Solution 3: Install CD 2.0a Patch
- Click Download CD 2.0a patch to save the CD 2.0a patch file on your PC from Age of Empires 2 Downloads Webpage. (This will download a setup file in your Downoads folder)
- Run the setup file. A setup window will pop up.
- Select I agree to the terms of this license agreement.
- Browse to your game destination folder and click Next. (Give it sometime to install patch files)
- Select Finish once the setup is completed.
- Try running the game now. This should finally fix your problem.
Note: This solution will not work if you play on Voobly.