There are limited default fonts on Google Docs that users can use. Users can also add other fonts from the Google Docs feature or by using add-ons. However, users cannot upload fonts from their computers. The fonts added to Google Docs will also be available in Google Sheets and Slides. In this article, we will show you methods through which you can add additional fonts to Google Docs.
Adding Fonts through More Fonts
Fonts in Google Docs have an option to add more fonts. You just need to search from the available list and click on any font that you want to add. It is pretty straightforward and nothing complicated. You can check the below steps to see where the option is located and how it works:
- Open your browser and go to the Google Docs site. Login to your Google Account if you haven’t already logged in.
- Now click on the Blank document or any document that you are working on.
- Click on the Fonts drop-down icon and then click on the More fonts option.
- Search for the font that you want to add from the list and click on it. It will automatically add the font, and you can see it on the right pane.
- Click on the Ok button and now you can select the font from the list of fonts anytime you want.
Adding Fonts through Extensis Fonts
Extensis Fonts is an add-on that you can install from Google Workspace Marketplace. Make sure you are logged in to a single Google account. If you are logged into multiple accounts, you may get the “drive.google.com refused to connect” error. In that case, you can try installing it through the Incognito window of the browser. Follow the below steps to install and use the Extensis Fonts:
- Open your browser and navigate to the Google Docs site. Login to your account if you are not signed in yet.
- Then you can click on the Blank page or the document that you are recently working on.
- Click on the Add-ons menu in the menu bar and choose the Get add-ons option.
- Now search for the Extensis Fonts and open the one from Extensis as shown below in the screenshot.
- Click on the Install button to install it for your Google account.
Note: If you are logged in with multiple accounts, then you can try doing this on the incognito window to prevent issues.
- After installation, go back to Google Docs. Click on the Add-ons menu again and now choose the Extensis Fonts > Start option.
- You will get a section on the right pane where you can choose the font for the selected text. The font will automatically be added to your list of fonts once applied.