Unlike some websites on the internet, Facebook allows you to be flexible in changing your email address if, for some reason, you need to do so. While this can be incredibly disadvantageous if your account falls in the wrong hands, there are a lot of practical benefits too.
In this article, we’ll go over the steps to add a second email to your Facebook account.
Table of Contents
Why Add Another Email to Facebook?
With millions of users on Facebook, many people would want to switch their email addresses for different reasons. However, even if you don’t need to change your email address, there are benefits to doing so.
The first and most obvious benefit of using two email addresses is security. Often, you may forget the password for one of your accounts or not have all of your emails logged onto your devices.
In this case, adding a secondary email address, preferably one that you use regularly, can help you get all important updates about your account, such as when a password is changed, or the account is logged into a new device. It can also help you recover your Facebook account more easily if you have forgotten the password to your first email address.
Another reason is when you need all of your social media accounts organized in one place, and your Facebook account is from early 2010s where you’ve created it using an email that you don’t really use now. In that case, switching over your primary email on Facebook can help you store all of your social media accounts in one place.
Facebook allows you to either switch to a new email address, or use the new one with the old.
Read More: What’s The Best Email Service in 2023?
Adding a Second Email Address
You can add a second email via your computer or your phone. Both procedures are nearly the same, with only a few minor differences.
- Click on your profile picture in the top-right corner, and select “Settings & privacy.”
- Then click on Settings.
- Now, click on Account Settings on the left:
- Under the General tab, you will see an Edit button next to Contact. Click on that.
- Facebook will ask you to enter your account’s password (for security purposes).
- Now, click the +Add email address option to add the new email to your Facebook account.
- Once added, Facebook will send a confirmation link to your mail and you’ll be golden.
If you want to remove an email address, simply click on the three-dots next to the email address in this same menu and select Delete. Remember, you can only delete the newly-added email as your old one will be set to your primary email address. If you want to delete the old one, select the Make primary option above Delete instead, then you’ll be able to see the option to Delete your old email.
The same procedure can also be done on your phone, with slightly different steps. In fact, it is relatively straightforward on your mobile device.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone, and tap on the three horizontal lines on the top right corner.
- Head over to “Settings & privacy” and tap on “Settings.”
- Select “Password and security.” and tap on “Contact info“.
- Now, you’ll see a page with all your contact information listed. Simply tap on “Add email address,” and in the page that comes up, type in your email.
Keep in mind that it isn’t recommended to regularly change email addresses unless you really need to. It can be easy to forget multiple usernames which can make it harder for you to recover your account once you’re locked out so act carefully.
Can You Add More Than One Email to Facebook?
While most users typically add a primary and a secondary email to their Facebook account, you might wonder if there’s a limit. The good news is, Facebook allows you to add multiple email addresses to your profile. This can be particularly useful for those who have various emails for different purposes – work, personal, and other online activities.
By adding all these emails, you ensure that you won’t miss out on important notifications or updates, no matter which email you’re currently accessing. However, always ensure each email added is secure to avoid potential vulnerabilities in your account.
How to Manage Multiple Emails in Facebook?
Juggling multiple email addresses on Facebook isn’t just about adding them; it’s about managing them effectively. If you’ve decided to use multiple emails:
- Prioritize Notifications: Decide which email address should receive specific notifications. For example, you might want security alerts sent to your primary email, but promotional notifications can go to a secondary one.
- Regularly Review and Update: Periodically check the list of emails associated with your account. If you no longer use an email address, consider removing it to minimize potential security risks.
- Be Cautious with Third-Party Apps: If you’ve granted permissions to apps or websites using your Facebook credentials, they may access the email addresses linked to your account. Regularly review these permissions and revoke any that are no longer needed.
By staying proactive with your email management on Facebook, you can enjoy the benefits of flexibility without compromising on security.
In conclusion, adding a second email to your Facebook account can be a game-changer. It can help with security, especially if you’re the forgetful type, and it keeps your accounts tidy, especially if you’ve had your Facebook since the early 2010s.
Just remember, while Facebook makes it easy, think twice before making frequent changes. It’s all about making things simpler for you, not more complicated. Stay smart about it.
Well, no. Unless the person knows your password, there is no way a new mail could be added to your account.
First add a second email and then remove the older one. The recently added email will automatically become the primary mail.
Actually, it doesn’t. Instead, it enables you to receive email notifications for activities on your account, whether it’s on one device or three.