Error code 0x8240023 is an update issue faced by Microsoft Windows when installing new security or feature update. Windows shows this error when searching for updates fails or has an issue in installing them. Moreover, the reports from users point to a licensing issue with Office 2007 as it is no longer supported. Also, the error is most likely related to KB2505184 (Office File Validation Add-in).
The solutions provided have been mostly from the users themselves, as Microsoft stopped support for Office 2007 in 2014. Although the issues resolved here are linked to MS Office 2007, it may not be the case for all issues related to 0x80240023.
Stop and Restart Windows Update Service
Windows update service can become buggy due to licensing issues. However, the solution in most cases seems to be to stop the service and start it again. This is an agreed-upon solution and is one of the first ones that should be tried. To stop and then restart the Windows Update service
- Press the Windows key. Then, type services.msc. Afterward, press enter.
- Thereafter you will be given a list of services. Find Windows Update.
- Right-click on Windows Update and click on Stop.
- Then, delete the Windows Update temporary cache folder.
- To access the cache folder press Windows key +R.
- Then, type in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and press OK.
- Delete all files in the folder.
- Again, repeat steps 1 through 3.
- Right-click on Windows Update and click on Start.
Hopefully, this will resolve the error.
Download Validation Tool
This solution is for users that are facing the issue due to an MS Office 2007 installation. If during the initial installation you chose file validation, Windows will update other applications but will give Error 0x80240023 for Office 2007. However, the solution is relatively simple. Download the validation tool for Office 2007 and run the file. For this
- First, visit the Update Catalog by Microsoft.
- Then, search for either 2505184 or Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in.
- Download the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in file.
- Extract the file. Then, run the OFV file inside the folder.
- After installation run Windows Update again.
- The update will now not cause any issues.
Keep the Computer Running
Another well-documented solution from users is to leave the device running overnight. This solution is for users who are not very tech-savvy. The reason for this solution is that instead of downloading the Office File Validation Add-In file, the system will automatically update the File Validation and continue with the updates. The average running time is somewhere between 6 and 12 hours.