Microsoft has released a new update for Windows Server 2019 which will come with LEDBAT support. The company already had LEDBAT support on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 in an experimental mode.
Last year, Microsoft announced 5 new features for the TCP stack of Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Anniversary Update (V1607):
- TCP Fast Open (TFO) for zero RTT TCP connection setup. IETF RFC 7413
- Initial Congestion Window 10 (ICW10) by default for faster TCP slow start
- TCP Recent ACKnowledgment (RACK) for better loss recovery (experimental IETF draft)
- Tail Loss Probe (TLP) for better Retransmit TimeOut response (experimental IETF draft)
- TCP LEDBAT for background connections IETF RFC 6817
For those who don’t know, LEDBAT was developed by Stanislav Shalunov and is used by Apple for software updates and by BitTorrent for most of its transmissions. With Server 2019, Microsoft will make LEDBAT available for everyone.