With the Home app on iOS 10.0.2, you are able to control all of Apple’s HomeKit products from one central location.
The Home app is the tool all Apple smart home lovers will need – in this guide we cover the basics of how to use the Home app and how it can be used to integrate Apple HomeKit accessories into your home.
How to Set up the Home App on iOS 10.0.2?
Before you can customize your HomeKit accessories to your liking, you must set up the Home app and integrate your devices. You’ll need iOS 10 or later for this, so make sure you’ve updated before continuing.
You’ll need to make sure your accessories work with Apple HomeKit before you can continue. They’ll usually be a sticker on the packaging which will inform you that it works with Apple HomeKit. You can find a full list of supported devices on Apple’s website.
Follow these next steps on your iPhone or iPad.
- Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID
- Go to the Settings App
- Go to iCloud
- Tap on Keychain
- Tap to switch Keychain to the ‘on’ position
- Choose ‘Use iCloud Security Code’ and enter a new PIN
- Tap on Home
- Tap to switch Home to the ‘on’ position
You will need to allow Home to use your location for the HomeKit accessories to connect.
How to Add Accessories to the Home App on iOS 10.0.2?
First, make sure the accessories you’d like to use are turned on and ready to use.
To add each accessory to Home, follow the steps listed below.
- Open the home app
- Tap ‘add accessory’
- Wait for your accessory to appear on the screen and then tap
- If it appears, tap to allow the ‘Add Accessory to Network’ option
- You’ll now need to enter the HomeKit code on your accessory or scan it with your iOS camera
- You’ll now need to give a name to the HomeKit accessory and give information about what room it is in.
- You can now tap ‘Done’ to finish the process
- Repeat the steps above for every accessory
How to Add a Room to the Home App on iOS 10.0.2?
If you have plenty of iOS HomeKit accessories, the best thing to do is organize your accessories into different rooms. That way you can easily access all of the accessories in the room you’re currently in. To create a room, follow the steps provided below.
- Open the Home app
- Tap the ‘Rooms’ tab
- Tap the icon in the top left of the screen
- Next, tap Room Settings
- Now tap Add Room
- You can give your room a name – ie, kitchen, bedroom, etc.
- You can take pictures to change the room background or choose a preset
- Now tap Save to finish the process
If you’d like to change the room that each accessory is in, you can simply switch to the rooms tab, scroll to the room that each accessory is currently in and long press on each accessory to change room options.
Using Siri and More Settings
Once you have added your accessories to the Home app, you’ll be able to tap on each accessory to turn them on or off. You can also tap to control the accessories in different ways. Lights can be dimmed or thermostat temperature can be adjusted for example.
You can also create different ‘scenes’ – these will activate a number of changes to all of your accessories with the tap of a button. For example, you could create an ‘evening’ scene which could turn the brightness of all of your lights up, or an ‘arriving home’ scene that’ll turn up your thermostat so that your home is warm upon your arrival home.
Siri can be used to interact with Home accessories as well. Here are a few examples of what Siri can do:
- “Turn off the lights in the bedroom.”
- “Set brightness to 20%.”
- “Set the temperature to 70 degrees”
- “Lock the door.”
- “Set my evening scene.”
Hopefully these tips will help you get to grips with the new Home app and HomeKit accessories.