You’re probably here to root or install a custom ROM on your Asus ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE551KL) and you’re required to have an unlocked bootloader. Just as you may know, unlocking your bootloader allows you to flash custom ROMs, kernels, etc, onto your device. Custom ROMs such as Resurrection Remix and Lineage OS have had their way into the ZenFone 2 for to power users to enjoy. Unlocking the bootloader is as easy as downloading the app, installing it, and running it.
Before you continue, you need to have met the following requirements:
- ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE551KL) with the latest OS installed
- ZenFone 2 Laser unlock tool
- A USB cable (Optional)
- ADB/Fastboot binaries (Optional)
Note that unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty and makes your device less secure.
- Install the unlock tool. If it’s on your device, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to Settings > Security and enable Install from Unknown Sources Option.
- Open your File Manager and locate the unlock apk (should be named UnlockApp_ze551ml_20150723.apk) and tap it and then choose install. If you downloaded it to your computer, you should follow these steps
- Navigate to Settings > About and tap Build Number 8 times. Go back to Settings > Developer Settings and enable USB Debugging Mode.
- Go into platform-tools-latest-windows folder, hold shift and then right click on select “Open command window here”
- Type the command adb install UnlockApp_ze551ml_20150723.apk and then press enter. If you see any authorization prompt, accept it.
- Launch the app from your phone. You will be presented with a warning about unlocking your bootloader, which you should read.
- Accept and Press the button to unlock your bootloader. The phone will go through the automated process of unlocking your bootloader and reboot when completed. You should see the ASUS logo upon reboot with an indication that you’ve successfully unlocked your bootloader.