The Google Hangouts application has become a cornerstone of the Android Operating System on the average Android device, especially since the majority of Android users have now elected Hangouts to handle their text messages as well.
Since Hangouts has become such an important application for tons of Android users, fixing errors associated with the application, especially the “Unfortunately, Google Hangouts has stopped” error, has become a matter of the utmost urgency.
Well, the following are the methods that have proven to be the most effective at getting rid of the “Unfortunately, Google Hangouts has stopped unexpectedly” error:
Method 1: Update the Hangouts app to its latest version
1. Open the Google Play Store.
2. Search for the Hangouts application and, once found, open it.
3. Tap on Update and wait for the application to be updated to the latest version.
Method 2: Uninstall the Hangouts app’s updates
Even though the Application Managers on almost all Android devices classify the Google Hangouts app as a “downloaded” application, it cannot be uninstalled. What users are allowed to do, however, is strip the app of all of its updates, causing it to turn back into its very first version.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Open the Application Manager.
3. Look for and open Hangouts.
4. Tap on Uninstall updates.
5. Confirm the action.
6. Open the Hangouts application. It will take a substantial amount of time for the application to open completely the first time after having its updates uninstalled as it will have to update itself back to the latest version, so be patient.
Method 3: Clear the data and cache of the Hangouts app
1. Navigate to the device’s Settings.
2. Open the device’s Application Manager.
3. Find and tap on Hangouts.
4. Press Force stop and confirm the action.
5. Scroll down a bit and tap on Clear cache.
6. Tap on Clear data and then confirm the action.
7. Get out of the device’s settings and open the Hangouts app.