Next generation Tobii IS5 eye-tracking has officially been announced and it is probably the most accurate eye-tracking solution that the general consumer can buy. The new technology allows it to be smaller than the previous version. The footprint has been reduced by 60% and it is 75% more power efficient as well.
The technology has already been shown to partners behind closed doors but it is expected that the first products that will use this new technology will be available in the first half of 2019. The following are the main features of the Next generation Tobii IS5 eye-tracking platform:
- The brand new Tobii EyeSensor, a custom CMOS image sensor specifically designed and optimized for eye tracking. The EyeSensor combines carefully tuned state of the art pixel technology with advanced logic, enabling the IS5 platform to provide significantly enhanced eye tracking performance compared to off-the-shelf image sensors.
- Use of infrared light illumination wavelength which is completely invisible to the human eye, enabling discreet integrations with minimal impact on the industrial design.
- A modular design which has a 60% smaller footprint than its predecessor, enabling integrations in smaller and thinner devices.
- Up to 75% more power efficient than the previous generation, enabling longer battery life in notebooks.
- Enhancements to the Tobii EyeCore algorithms for better tracking under difficult conditions.
- Support for biometric security features using face ID.
The smaller form-factor will help this new technology to be incorporated into laptops. Tobii already has support in a variety of games including new AAA titles like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5 and Final Fantasy XV.
Support for new titles is being added frequently and as we speak the team is working on providing support for Farming Simulator 19. The company is already offering impressive support and the next generation hardware will make things much better.
Henrik Eskilsson, CEO of Tobii talked about this new technology that will soon be available to the general consumer and the following is what he had to say in this regard:
“We continuously develop our technology to be able to reach a broader set of form factors as ultimately we believe that eye tracking will be a natural part of most devices on the market. IS5 marks a significant step forward in meeting the requirements of customers to be able to integrate into a much wider array of devices. With IS5, we are ready to take eye tracking to the next level in the PC market.”
Tobii eye-tracking didn’t really take off in the gaming space for the everyday gamer, but things could be different with this new Tobii IS5 eye-tracking platform. At this point in time, all that we can do is wait and see.