WhatsApp performs a daily backup of your WhatsApp chat both locally and on Google Drive to enable you restore your precious chats and conversations when you delete WhatsApp or lose them in any other way. WhatsApp also allows you to perform a manual backup or save your chat history by sending it to your email. If you want to save your WhatsApp chat history, you can do so following these easy methods below.
Method 1: Performing a Manual Backup
- Open WhatsApp
- Using the Menu button, go to Settings > Chat > Chat Backup
- Tap Backup
- To restore your chat, you will have to reinstall WhatsApp and set up up again.
Method 2: Using the Email Chat Feature
- Open WhatsApp
- Open any of you private chats or group
- Tap the Menu button
- Tap More and then tap Email conversation
- Choose whether to Attach Media or not.
- Your mail client will open and compose an email with your chat history attached as a .txt document.
- Provide your email address and press send.
Note the Following:
- If you select the Attach Media options, the most recent media will be attached to the email.
- When sending with media, you can send up to 10,000 latest messages and without media, you can send 40,000 messages.
Method 3: Copying WhatsApp Folder a Computer
- Connect your smartphone to a computer using a USB cable. Make sure MTP connection is enabled in the notifications panel.
- Go to My Computer and select your phone under the Devices and Drives section.
- Look for the WhatsApp folder in the file explorer and copy that folder.
- Go to any desired folder on your PC and then paste the WhatsApp folder there.
- In order to view your chat, you will need to restore it back to your phone. You can do this by copying the WhatsApp folder back to your the root storage of your smartphone and then reinstalling WhatsApp.