The Lenovo Vibe S1 is a mid-range device that sports a cool 3GB RAM, 13MP camera, and 32GB of internal storage. Because this phone uses a Mediatek chipset, rooting it is comparable to many other Mediatek-based devices, such as most smartphone brands from China.
Please be aware of the risks you take when rooting any phone and flashing things, but this guide will walk you step by step on the proper root technique to minimalize any risks.
- SP Flash Tools
- Lenovo Vibe S1 Drivers
- Mediatek USB VCOM Drivers
- TWRP 18.104.22.168-M for Lenovo Vibe S1
- Before starting, make sure your device is charged above 50% battery life.
- Go into Settings > About Phone > Device Info > tap Build Number exactly 7 times, to unlock the Developer Options.
- Now go to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging.
- Install the Lenovo Vibe S1 Driver, and the Mediatek USB VCOM drivers. The Mediatek drivers are a bit difficult to install properly, so follow along closely.
- Mediatek USB drivers are not digitally signed, thus we will disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows. Press Windows Key + X and choose “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu that opens, then type into the command terminal:
bcdedit /set testsigning on
- The terminal should return “The operation was completed successfully”, so now restart your computer. When it boots back to your desktop, you should see “Test Mode” in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Note: If your command prompt returned “The value is protected by Secure Boot policy”, then Secure Boot must be disabled in your BIOS settings. Refer to your BIOS manual.
- Open Device Manager under Windows – the quickest way is to hold Windows Key + R to open the Run command, and type “devmgmt.msc” and click OK.
- Now click on your computer’s name, then click the Action tab, and choose “Add Legacy Hardware”. Click Next in the Hardware Wizard box, then choose “Install the Hardware that I manually select from a list”, and click Next again.
- Enable “Show All Devices” before clicking Next, then “Have Disk” > Browse > navigate to your Mediatek drivers folder you extracted earlier. Be very careful which driver you choose to install, you must choose only the driver for your Windows version and system type (e.g. Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 7 32-bit).
- Now choose the Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port and click Next a couple times, then wait for the driver installation to finish. If an error comes up like “This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)”, just click Ignore and Finish.
- Now extract the SP Flash Tools to your desktop, and also the TWRP folder.
- Launch the flash_tool.exe from the SP Flash Tools folder, and click on Scatter-Loading. Now browse inside the TWRP folder, and select the MT6752_Android_scatter.txt
- Now press CTRL + SHIFT + O and an options window will open. Click ‘Download’ and then check the box for USB Checksum, and close the window.
- Now click the download button, and turn off your Lenovo Vibe S1, and connect it to the PC via USB.
- The flash tool will recognize the device being connected, and begin flashing the scatter file. When its finished, remove the USB cable and press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power, and release it when the phone logo displays.
- It should boot into TWRP after a couple minutes, so now copy the SuperSU .zip file to your phone, and in TWRP, go to Install > select the SuperSU .zip, and swipe to flash it.
- When the SuperSU is flashed, reboot your phone and leave it alone until it completely boots into the Android system. You can verify root with an app like Root Checker from Google Play.