The Infinix Hot 4 is one of the latest mid-range Android devices released by Infinix Mobility. Being a Mediatek based device, rooting it is fairly simple with the SP Flash Tool. This guide will walk you through all of the necessary steps to installing TWRP and achieving root status on the Infinix Hot 4 X557.
The first thing you need to do is install the Mediatek USB VCOM drivers. Follow along closely.
- Mediatek USB drivers are not digitally signed, thus we will disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows. Press Windows Key + X and choose “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu that opens, then type into the command terminal:
- bcdedit /set testsigning on
- The terminal should return “The operation was completed successfully”, so now restart your computer. When it boots back to your desktop, you should see “Test Mode” in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Note: If your command prompt returned “The value is protected by Secure Boot policy”, then Secure Boot must be disabled in your BIOS settings. Refer to your BIOS manual.
- Open Device Manager under Windows – the quickest way is to hold Windows Key + R to open the Run command, and type “devmgmt.msc” and click OK
- Now click on your computer’s name, then click the Action tab, and choose “Add Legacy Hardware”. Click Next in the Hardware Wizard box, then choose “Install the Hardware that I manually select from a list”, and click Next again.
- Enable “Show All Devices” before clicking Next, then “Have Disk” > Browse > navigate to your Mediatek drivers folder you extracted earlier. Be very careful which driver you choose to install, you must choose only the driver for your Windows version and system type (e.g. Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 7 32-bit).
- Now choose the Mediatek Preloader USB VCOM Port and click Next a couple times, then wait for the driver installation to finish. If an error comes up like “This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)”, just click Ignore and Finish.
- Now extract the SP Flash Tool to your desktop, and also extract the TWRP folder.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > tap ‘Build Number’ 7 times until Developer Mode is activated. Now go to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your Infinix Hot 4 to your PC via USB, and copy the SuperSU .zip file to your device’s SD card.
- Unplug the device from your computer, and switch it off completely.
- Launch the SP Flash .exe file, and click ‘Load’, then navigate to the TWRP folder and choose the scatter file for TWRP. Make sure only the checkbox for ‘Recovery’ is ticked.
- Click ‘Download’ in SP Flash Tool, and reconnect your Infinix Hot 4 via USB. Wait until the flashing process is finished completely, you should get a green circle.
- Now reboot your phone into recovery mode using Power + Volume Up, this should launch your phone into TWRP Recovery.
- On the main menu of TWRP, go to Install > SD Card > choose the SuperSU .zip you transferred earlier. Swipe to flash it.
- When its done flashing SuperSU, reboot your device. Leave it alone until it boots completely into the Android system, this may take up to 10 – 15 minutes.
- You can verify root status with an app like Root Checker from the Google Play store.