The Huawei Honor 7x is one of the latest mid-range devices from the Chinese mobile giant. It features 64GB of internal storage, 4GB of RAM, and the latest HiSilicon Kirin 659 chipset. Recent purchasers of this device may be wondering “how to root the Huawei Honor 7x?”, and this guide has you covered.
Warning: This guide will walk you through unlocking your bootloader, which will perform a factory reset on your device – all of your user-data will be erased, so please make sure you have backups of all personal files before proceeding with this guide.
ADB & Fastboot on your PC (See: How to Install ADB on Windows)
- First thing we need to do is enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your Huawei Honor 7x. Go to Settings > About > tap ‘Build Number’ 7 times, until Developer Mode is confirmed as being activated. Now go into Developer Options and enable those settings.
- Now we need to unlock your bootloader. Go to the Huawei Bootloader Unlocking website and log-in or create an account with them. Now proceed through the Bootloader Unlock Request application, filling out all of the necessary information about your device (IMEI, model number, etc). When you are finished, you will receive a dialogue box with a code – this is your bootloader unlock code, so write it down somewhere safe.
- Now connect your Huawei Honor 7x to your PC via USB, and confirm the dialogue to pair it with your PC’s ADB. Go into your ADB & Fastboot folder on your PC, hold Shift + Right Click, and ‘Open a Command Window Here’.
- A command prompt will be launched, so here you should type: adb devices
- If the command prompt displays your Honor 7x’s serial number, we’re good to proceed. If not, you may need to troubleshoot your ADB installation or USB connection.
- If the ADB connection was recognized, go ahead and type into the command prompt: adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone will now reboot into Fastboot Mode, so now you can type into the command prompt: fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXX (replace the X’s with the code you received from Huawei)
- Accept the confirmation dialogue on your phone, and it will proceed to factory reset your device. Once it boots to the set-up screen, go through the steps and then re-enable Developer Options and USB Debugging the way you did in the first step.
- Now copy the SuperSU.zip you downloaded from the Requirements to your phone’s external SD card, and copy the TWRP .img file to the main folder of your ADB installation on your computer.
- Open a new ADB console on your computer and reboot your phone into Bootloader Mode again.
- Type into the ADB console: fastboot flash recovery twrp_honor_7x.img
- When its done flashing the .img file, type: fastboot reboot
- Now after it reboots, shutdown your phone and wait about 10 seconds, then press Volume Up + Power at the same time.
- You will be booted into TWRP Recovery, so on the TWRP main menu, choose Install > SD Card > find your SuperSU.zip and swipe to flash it.
- When its done flashing SuperSU, go to TWRP main menu > Wipe > Dalvik Cache, and swipe to wipe the dalvik cache. Now you can reboot.
- The device may reboot a couple times or more, this is normal – just leave your device alone until it completely reboots to the initial set-up stages.
You’ve now rooted your Huawei Honor 7x!
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage Plus by Clicking Here