Due to the current geopolitical conditions, Sony has stated that it would be raising the selling price of the PS5 in a number of countries.
Jim Ryan, president, and chief executive officer of Sony, recently made the price hike public on the PlayStation Blog. Many markets, including those in Europe, the United Kingdom, Japan, Canada, China, Mexico, and Australia, will be impacted. There won’t be a PS5 price increase in the US, claims Ryan.
We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States.”
-Jim Ryan via PlayStation Blog
Ryan states that the price rise will take effect right away. The updated retail costs in the impacted nations are listed below:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
- Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
Price increases for the PS5 will undoubtedly impact individuals who have been unsuccessful in their efforts to obtain the in-demand system for almost two years. Increased manufacturing costs and issues in semiconductor supply chain are supposedly the reason for the price hike and we can only hope the situation improves overtime.