Most AAA games nowadays come with collector’s editions, which are a real treat for dedicated fans of a particular game franchise. Collector’s editions often include valuable collectibles, as the name implies. These can range from an exclusive steel book to figurines.
The same is true for the upcoming Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 by Insomniac Games and PlayStation Studios, which is launching with its own collector’s edition. However, the real highlight isn’t the collector’s edition itself but rather how PlayStation UK chose to advertise it on their X (formerly Twitter) handle.
PlayStation UK posted on X with the caption ‘Treat yourself to 19 inches of Venom and more with the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Collector’s Edition.’
This is certainly not the kind of caption you’d expect on a Monday afternoon, and it has sparked quite a reaction.
PlayStation UK wants Spider-Man fans to treat themselves with 19 inches of Venom, and it’s working. This marketing tactic has generated a whole lot more engagement, with over 14 million views, 23K+ likes, 12K+ reposts, and counting.
This success is undoubtedly due to the witty caption, and fans are joining in on the fun. However, some are also wondering what exactly the caption implies about treating oneself to 19 inches of Venom. Is it too much?
Nonetheless, it’s evident that PlayStation’s strategy is effective in promoting the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Collector’s Edition. However, It doesn’t come cheap, priced at £219.99 / $229.99, so those 19 inches of Venom certainly have a premium cost attached.
The Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Collector’s Box Includes
- A digital voucher code for the full Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game.
- SteelBook Display Case
- A 19-inch Collector’s Edition statue featuring Spider-Man Peter Parker, Spider-Man Miles Morales, and Venom (this definitely has become the highlight now).
There are also pre-order bonus items, such as:
- The Arachknight Suit for Peter (early unlock with three color variants)
- The Shadow-Spider Suit for Miles (early unlock with three color variants)
- The Web Grabber gadget (early unlock)
- +3 Skill Points
It will also include The Digital Deluxe Edition goodies:
- 10 unique suits (five for each of the characters, Peter and Miles)
- Additional Photo Mode items
- +2 Skill Points
Peter Parker’s Digital Deluxe Edition suits include:
- Aurantia Suit designed by Raf Grassetti
- Apunkalyptic Suit designed by Jerad Marantz
- Tactical Suit designed by Joel Mandish (Bend Studios)
- Stone Monkey Suit designed by Victoria Ying
- 25th Century Suit designed by Anthony Francisco
Miles Morales’ Digital Deluxe Edition suits include:
- EnCOded Suit designed by Kris Anka
- Biomechanical Suit designed by Jerad Marantz
- Tokusatsu Suit designed by Julia Blattman
- Agimat Suit designed by Anthony Francisco
- Red Spectre Suit designed by Sweeny Boo
So, what are your thoughts on this news? Are you considering treating yourself to ’19 inches of Venom with the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Collector’s Edition’? Let us know in the comments section below.