A number of users have reported the Error 0X8004FC12 while trying to activate their Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365. The error comes up in the form of a dialogue box stating We’re sorry, something went wrong and we can’t do this for you right now. Please try again later. It doesn’t let the users continue the process of activation till the end. So, it is like banging your head on the wall as Microsoft Office is one of the most important applications and when it cannot be activated, you will have some serious troubles.
But you don’t need to worry as there are a number of fixes you can try to get the Office application activated without popping any error.
Reason Behind the Error “0X8004FC12”
This error comes up when there is a problem with Microsoft Software Protection Platform that is part of Microsoft Windows.
Solutions to Fix the Error “0X8004FC12”
There are a plenty of solutions you can try to fix this activation error. So, try to activate the Office after following each method. If it doesn’t work, then move to the next one.
Method # 1: Temporarily Disabling the Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall can influence the process of activation. So, temporarily turning it off before starting the Office activation process might be a good solution for you. To turn the firewall off, follow these steps.
1. Go to Control Panel by right clicking over the Start menu icon and selecting the Control panel from the list. Inside Control panel, switch the view to Small icons resided at the top. After switching the view, you will see Window Firewall at the near bottom. Click over it to open Firewall settings.
2. After you have open the Firewall settings, navigate to the left pane and click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
3. Now, you are required to turn the firewall off by clicking on the two radio buttons labeled as Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended). Click on the OK button afterwards. See the image for illustration
4. Run the Microsoft Office activation process again and see if it works. After the activation is carried out properly, you can turn the Windows Firewall back to On.
Method # 2: Adding Net Local Group
Adding net local group before the Office activation process can fix the error. Follow the steps below to add it.
1. Open the Command Prompt using the administrative rights. You can open it b right clicking over the Start menu icon and selecting the Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
2. Type of following line of code inside Command Prompt and press Enter key after each line to execute. You can also paste each line of code inside command prompt by right clicking and selecting the Paste
Note: Type or paste each line of code separately followed by the Enter key after each line.
net localgroup Administrators localservice /add
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
3. After the process is done, restart your PC and start the activation process again.
Method # 3: Resetting TCP/IP
TCP and IP are the protocols necessary for the Internet to work. The error 0X8004FC12 might be caused due to an issue with these protocols. So, you can try resetting TCP/IP to activate Office.
1. Open Command Prompt (Admin) as mentioned in the method above. Type the following command inside command prompt and press Enter key on the keyboard.
2. After the command has been executed, reboot your PC and try to activate the Microsoft Office.