Since its release earlier this month, Cyberpunk 2077 has been criticized for its bugs and issues. Subsequently, many players have noticed the game’s atrocious AI which is supposedly due to the bugs that developer CD Projekt Red has promised to fix very soon. However, it didn’t take long for the modding community to take matters into their own hands.
Night City and its dwellers are one of the most crucial parts of Cyberpunk 2077, so it definitely breaks the immersion to see people acting robotic, running into each other, and outright disappearing before your very eyes. A new mod created by NexusMods user TemplarGFX aims to fix the silly AI of Night City’s pedestrians.
The Alternate Crowd Behavior mod changes several things about how crowds are generated in hopes to make them look “a little less idiotic”. The primary change was done to improve how civilians pass each other by “greatly reducing the semi-circle walkaround behavior”. This results in crowds spreading out significantly and thus reducing the chances of encountering AI-related bugs.
The following is a full list of all the changes made by the Alternate Crowd Behavior mod:
- Increased forward obstacle detection distance
- Increased the distance NPC’s avoid the player
- Decreased safe space around each NPC to allow them to get closer to each other
- Reduced turning rate when adjusting path to avoid others
- Reduced likelyhood of stopping when running into another NPC
- Increased distance at which NPCs can wait for lights
- Increased check distance for J-Walking
- Increased distance to avoid player
- Increased path planning distance
- Reduce the likelyhood of NPC’s disappearing when out of view
- Increased time before despawn
- Increased maximum allowed NPC’s
- Removed view-only spawning restriction
- Removed speed based spawn blocking for crowds
- Removed teleportation of NPCs to new locations
The mod author notes that this doesn’t stop NPCs completely disappearing upon getting scared. Regardless, the mod is certainly a good step in the right direction. Head here and follow the instructions to download and install the mod for yourselves.