I have seen this error usually come up when trying to install a network printer. Where it is a network printer, chances are that you may have this printer already working and installed elsewhere on a different machine connected to the same network.
To use this method, we need a machine with the same driver installed and working properly. If you do have access to this, then follow the steps below:
Step 1 to 6 to be performed on a PC/System where the printer is working properly.
1. Hold the windows key and press R. In the run dialog that opens up, type regedit and click OK
2. In the registry editor view, browse to the following path:
3. In here, locate the subkey for the printer driver you are having issues with, and click the key for the printer driver.
4. Look at the InfPath and note down the path.
5. Now hold windows key press E to open Windows explorer and go to the following location.
6. Locate the folder which you noted down in the InfPath reg value.
Step 7 to be performed on the the PC with error 0x00005b3
7. Now, on the computer with the issue, go to
and check if this folder exists, if it does exists open it and see if it is empty or not, if it is empty then modify the security of the folder by going to properties -> security and add your user with full control, once done, copy the contents of this folder from the other computer where the printer works, to this one where it doesn’t.