It seems to be a big week for Microsoft with regards to different updates and releases. Just today, the company has introduced some major improvements, animations and features to its Beta Launcher for Android. The latest update has bumped the app to version 188.8.131.52658.
The official changelog for the app suggests:
- Folder and app icon gestures (swipe to open or click to launch).
- Choose how to use the last row of expanded dock: Apps, pinned contacts, folders, search bar or widgets.
- Parents can enable web filtering through the Family card.
- Folders in the app drawer are now sorted alphabetically.
- UI improvements: Animation adjustments; blur effect as an option; App badges in the app drawer.
- Fully support Android O and remove support for 4.0.X and 4.1.
The most noteworthy change in the new update is the customization option available for the expanded dock. Folders inside the app drawer can be sorted out alphabetically and a special option in settings allows for setting personal gestures for the app icon and folders.
Family safety features have also been updated with the family card now providing the option for web filtering also. It will give parents greater control over their children’s activities. Various UI changes have also been made as well as adjustments in animations with additional blur effect.
Beta Launcher will not support some older Android versions such as 4.0.X and 4.1. However, all devices that are running on Android Oreo will be supported now. For the moment the changes are available only for the Beta users of the Launcher, but a stable version launch is also expected in the near future. The latest and updated version of Microsoft Launcher can be downloaded here.