We will show you exactly how to update your Honor 7x manually so you don’t have to rely on official updates. There are a lot of reasons for users to update their phone manually especially for those who have previously rooted their device, or are experiencing soft-brick issues and need to re-install the stock firmware (or manually upgrade to the latest firmware), this guide will walk you through it.
Warning: It’s highly recommended to have full user-data backups before attempting to manually upgrade your firmware, incase something goes horribly wrong. You have been warned!
- A Huawei Honor 7x with an unlocked bootloader + TWRP installed (see the Appual’s guide for unlocking and rooting this device)
- Huawei Firmware Finder
- The first step is to launch the Firmware Finder on your computer, and go to the Common Base tab. In the “Model for Find” box, type BND and click Find
- Now click the link for the latest FullOTA package (for example, BND-AL10C00B182) and download the first link (which should be named update.zip) and the third link (example update_full_BND-AL10_all_cn.zip).
- Now using a tool like WinRAR, extract the UPDATE.APP files from the archives to separate locations (so one doesn’t overwrite the other). So you should have 2 different files named UPDATE.APP sitting in 2 different places on your computer, got it?
- Now download the last link of the latest OTA Package for your device variant.
- Now run the HuaweiUpdateExtractor_0.9.9.5 program on your computer, and choose Honor 7x from the drop-down menu. In the tab for Extract, locate the first UPDATE.APP file and select Extract All.
- Repeat the above step for the second UPDATE.APP file on your computer.
- Now reboot to TWRP (you have TWRP installed on your device, right?) and using the file browser in TWRP, copy System.img, Product.img, Vendor.img, Version, and Cust.img to your external SD card.
- Go to TWRP main menu, tap Install, and choose ‘Image’.
- Select the System.img on your SD card and choose System
- Repeat for all of the .img files you copied to your SD card.
- Now go to TWRP main menu > Wipe > Data and swipe to wipe, then in TWRP choose Reboot to System.
- Once your system boots, reboot back into TWRP. Now copy your backed up Prduct, Version, and Cust .img files to your memory code and flash them in TWRP.
- Finally, flash the OTA package for your device variant (the last one you downloaded).
- Reboot your device, and you should be on the latest firmware that you used to upgrade!