Earlier this week on Sunday, a tragic event occurred at the Madden qualifier events in Jacksonville. A shooting took place which resulted in several casualties, including the death of two players, Taylor Robertson and Elijah Clayton. Following the tragedy, EA cancelled the remaining three qualifier events and CEO of the firm Andrew Wilson shared a message to the community.
In the message, CEO of Electronic Arts, Andrew Wilson, addresses the gaming community and shares his thoughts about the violent act. “I know many of us, myself included, are filled with shock and grief,” he says. “Our teams have been working non-stop to do what we can to respond to this terrible situation.
Two people playing in the event, Taylor Robertson and Elijah Clayton, were killed in the shooting. “First and foremost, it is an unthinkable tragedy that Taylor Robertson and Elijah Clayton, two of our top Madden competitors, lost their lives in this way,” states the CEO. “We are committed to supporting Taylor and Elijah’s families through this difficult time, and we send our deepest sympathies to their loved ones, to those injured yesterday, and everyone affected.”
The post continues to say that the remaining qualifiers for the first Madden Classic tournament of this season have been cancelled. EA says that they will take this time to run “run a comprehensive review of safety protocols for competitors and spectators. We will work with our partners and our internal teams to establish a consistent level of security at all of our competitive gaming events.”
“We’ve all been deeply affected by what took place in Jacksonville. This is the first time we’ve had to confront something like this as an organization, and I believe the first time our gaming community has dealt with a tragedy of this nature. Please take time to support each other through this challenging time.”