VirtualBox is a software which allows the user to run variety of operating systems be it Windows, Mac or BSD or any other OS. Fortunately, VirtualBox is available for Ubuntu 16.04 and the installation is a fairly easy process. After you’ve installed the VirtualBox you will need the bootable ISO to configure the Virtual OS to run through Virtual Box.
In order to install VirtualBox follow the steps below.
Installing VirtualBox on Ubuntu 16.o4
- Click the search your computer icon from the top left and type Terminal.
- Click Terminal to open it.
- Download the deb file using the wget command from here. I recommend using the AMD64 bit version regardless of the CPU type you have because it contains the same set of instructions.
- In terminal, type or copy/paste the following command
- Next install the dependencies needed to run VirtualBox. Type the following commands into the Terminal
sudo apt-get install libqt5x11extras5 libsdl1.2debian libsdl-ttf2.0-0
- Now type the following command decompress and install VirtualBox.
dpkg –i virtualbox-5.1_5.1.10-112026-Ubuntu-xenial_i386.deb
- Once installed, you should have the VirtualBox application installed. You can search for it through the Search Your Computer icon.