An intercom is a standalone device which is used for conveying messages from one point to another. This system is completely independent of your regular telephone network. You might have seen such an assembly in various houses. Intercoms also serve a security purpose because whosoever wishes to come to your house will have to seek permission via intercom. Once you receive the message, you will have to reply back either with an agreement or disagreement. In this way, you can even save yourself from the hassle of going to your main door every time when someone rings the doorbell.
We all know that Google Home is a smart speaker developed by Google. However, very few of us know that these smart speakers can also be used as an intercom. There are in fact three ways in which we can use these speakers as an intercom. We can broadcast our messages via our phones or tablets on Google Home. A message can be conveyed from one Google Home device to another. Moreover, you can also send a reply if you are at the receiving end of the broadcast. So let us find out together how we can use Google Home as an intercom in all the three ways.
How to use Google Home as an Intercom by Making use of your Tablet or Phone?
In order to use Google Home as an intercom by making use of your phone or tablet, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Launch the Google Home application on your tablet or smartphone and locate the Broadcast button on it.
- Once you find that button, you will need to press it. As soon as you will do this, Google will ask you, “What’s the message?”.
- After doing that, it will automatically start the recording and you will be supposed to speak whatever you want to convey. For example, if you want to tell your homies that you will be home in half an hour then you will need to say, “I’m coming home in 30 minutes”.
- Once you have completed your recording, Google Assistant will take some time to transcribe your voice. After that, it will display a message on your device saying, “Got it. Broadcasting now”. And your message will be broadcasted on Google Home regardless of the fact that you were not present there physically.
Because of this, the people living in your home will immediately know you will be home within half an hour. In this way, they will get dinner/ lunch or whatever stuff you will like to have, ready for you before you reach. And the best part is that you did not even have to call or send a text message to your family but still your message was conveyed just because of Google Home Intercom.
How to Broadcast a Message from One Google Home Device to Another?
This method is for the situation in which you have multiple Google Home devices at your home. For broadcasting a message from one Google Home device to another, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you will need to activate your Google Home with the trigger word “OK Google” or “Hey Google” and then say Broadcast.
- After activating your smart speakers and telling them to broadcast, just start speaking your message. Your Google Home will automatically record it.
- Once you have completed your recording, your message will be played on all of your Google Home devices including the one that you used to broadcast your message.
This method can just be used for fun or for making a special announcement that you want all of your family members to listen. Moreover, this setup can also prove to be useful in large gatherings where children mostly get lost. These multiple broadcasts will help to find them easily.
How to Send a Reply to a Broadcast using Google Home?
In order to send a reply back to a broadcast message using Google Home, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Just start recording your message to your nearest Google Home device.
- Once the message is successfully recorded, it will only be played to the device which initiated this broadcast. However, if you have initiated the broadcast with your mobile phone or tablet, then you will get the reply on your Google Assistant app.
This method portrays Google Home Intercom as a real two-way communicator which is capable of sending and receiving messages. In this way, you do not have to spend any money on getting a separate intercom system. Your work can be done merely with your Google Home smart speakers.