Since updating to Windows Live Mail 2012 from 2011, many online users have complained that the Group Distribution function no longer works the same. One Microsoft Answers user explained:
When I was Secretary of a club, it was a simple matter of putting all club member’s email addresses in a group, but now it’s just having list of friends and relatives.
The group feature might have changed, but it doesn’t mean that it is no longer possible to use this feature and send emails to multiple people at the same time. While previously users would have just needed to double click on the group name and clicked OK, Windows Live Mail 2012 users must go through a different process, however.
Find your group names to add to your email is easy in 2012. The following method outlines how you can do it.
Use the + Button to Add Groups
After opening the compose window, use the following steps to send messages to a group.
- Click the To button, and a new dialog box should appear called Send an Email.
- In the dialog box, choose a category and then choose the To, Cc or Bcc button to send an email to your group.
- After clicking the button, you will be presented with group/category options. To add a group to your email – which will send the email to everybody within the group – you will need to press the + button next to the name of your group.
- Once you have done this, press OK and the dialog box will close, taking you back to the compose window where you can create your email. You should see a long address list under the To, Cc or Bcc fields that include all recipients within your group.
If you don’t already know how to create a group of contacts, use the following steps:
- Click on the Address book icon on the bottom left on your screen, or alternatively press Ctrl + 3 on your keyboard.
- In the ribbon at the top of the window, press Category. A new Create a new category dialog box will appear. There is a text field, where you should type in a name for your group.
- In the middle of the dialog box, you will see an alphabetical list of all of your email contacts. If you want to add a contact, tick it by clicking on the entry.
- To save your new group, simply press Save at the bottom of the window.