USB Shortcut Virus is a virus that attaches itself to a file on USB devices such as Memory Card, and Pen-Drives. It uses windows VBScript. These are scripts that can be run on any windows platform to automate certain tasks.
It works by turning files in your (Removable media) to shortcuts and hides the original files such that only the shortcut is visible to the user. Once the user launches the files using these shortcuts, the virus launches itself by making a copy of itself in the computer’s internal hard drive. The user has the illusion that the file opens correctly, and therefore is not aware of the background activity of the virus. The files in your Disc appear as shown below
Once the virus spreads itself within the computer, it automatically starts infecting all the other disks and folders in the computer by turning them into shortcuts any new USB device attached to it.
The virus can also be used to access and steal information from the infected computer.
Steps To Remove The USB Shortcut Virus
Using the USB Virus Removal Tool
1. Download the USB Fix Software
2. Disable your existing Antivirus software to avoid conflicts.
3. Plug in your infected USB device to the computer
4. Run USBFix tool which you downloaded in Step 1.
5. Click on Clean. Your computer may be restarted during clean-up. Once restarted, a report will be populated in the text-format to show the results of the clean-up.
Format the USB Drive
If your data is of no important, then you can also format the USB drive completely to wipe out all data including infections. To format the drive, insert it into the computer.
1. Open My Computer by Holding the Windows + E key.
2. Locate your USB drive and right click on it.
3. Right Click the Drive and select Format.
4. Click the Start button from the bottom of the pop-up and confirm your selection.
Formatting will wipe out all data.