Adobe Illustrator could be one of the finest Graphic Designing programs which can be used by designers to make the most intricate of designs. And because there are so many simple tools on the program which helps you make simple designs as well. Like the ellipses tool (which is often used to draw circles and ovals and all the related shapes) can be used by anyone to make a lotus flower. Yes, a circle can be used to make a flower on Adobe Illustrator. The amazing feature of ‘pathfinder’ on Illustrator aids the designer in creating the shape of a petal for a lotus. Follow the steps as mentioned below to make a lotus flower on Adobe Illustrator.
- Open Adobe Illustrator to a new file. You need to create a lotus, so let’s keep the background simple for now. I prefer using a blank artboard especially when I am making an icon or an image that needs my utmost attention. The background is bound to distract you and you might miss out on important details for the shape.
- From the left tool panel, click on the 5th icon which in my Adobe Illustrator looks like a ‘rectangle’ as it was the last shape I used in my previous work. This is basically the shape tool. You will find all the options for shapes here, including the ellipses tool. To access that, click the right button of your mouse on the icon which will open a dropdown list of options for the shape tools you can select from. Once you have picked the ellipses tool, you need to draw a good proportionate circle as shown in the image below.
- To make the second circle exactly like the first one, you can either draw another circle or, you can copy this one by pressing the ‘Alt’ key on your keyboard and dragging the shape, both at the same time. The latter is a better way of doing it as it will copy the exact shape which you drew at first.
- For the next step, I removed the fill color for the second image, which is on the top of the first one so that I can see through the second image. This is important to make the petal of any flower, and lotus, in this case. You can remove the fill color for both the circles as well. The main idea here is to have the intersection between the two shapes visible which is what you petal will look like. This step is very important. Next, you will open the Pathfinder, which can be accessed from the top toolbar under the ‘Windows’ heading. From the various options under Pathfinder, you need to click on the third icon under Shapes Mode, which is the icon for Intersec, as shown in the image below.
- The instant you click on ‘Intersect’, the circles you drew will intersect, and the only part remaining will be the intersection, which looks like a petal.
- Once the petal has been created through the PathFinder tool. You can rotate this petal to create the curved edges of a lotus flower. To rotate this, you need to select the shape that you just created so that these blue boundaries appear. When you take the cursor towards the edges of the blue border, you will notice a curvy cursor which will show you that you can rotate the image using this. When this cursor appears, just click and rotate the shape according to your required angle. Or, you can use the ‘Reflect’ tab, which appears when you click right on the image under the ‘Transform’ heading in the dropdown list that appears. Clicking on ‘Reflect…’ will open another dialogue box where you can choose yor required settings to create a ‘reflection’ or your image.
- You can also use the Scale option here. Which I used to create more petals for the lotus.
- Repeat the any of the steps as mentioned above to create more petals. And to create that overlapping effect, just add a white fill color to the petals so that your flower looks something like this.