Spotify is one of the finest streaming music services which offers you access to a vast number of songs all over the world. Millions of people are subscribed to this service as they relish music from the entire world. Why should you be an exception? Did you know that you can play music on Spotify using voice control? This is where Alexa comes into play. Through the smart sound devices, you can command Alexa to play the songs of your choice from this music service. But to achieve this, you will need to connect Spotify to Alexa.
Therefore, to get started you will need to ensure that the requirements for connecting the two are all in place. First of all, you will need to have the Amazon Alexa app installed on your phone or tablet. This will allow you to set up the Alexa device and link the Spotify account to Alexa. the app is available in the Google Play Store as well as App Store. To download the app, you need to follow the steps given below:
For iOS users:
- In your iOS device, go to the App Store.
- Search for Amazon Alexa app in the search bar.
- Click on Get to install the app into your device.
For Android Users:
- Go to Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap the search tab and search for Amazon Alexa app.
- Tap on Install.
Creating a Spotify Premium Account
Keeping in mind that you already own an Alexa-enabled smart speaker with you, you also need to ensure you have a Spotify Premium account as well. Creating this account is not an uphill task. All you need to do is to follow the sign-up process and you will be done.
However, to access your playlists and library as well as Alexa services, you need to upgrade to a premium (paid) account. This gives you privileges that you cannot get on the normal Spotify account. The sign-up process is as simple as 123 and is as shown in the procedure below:
- Go to the Spotify website to sign up.
- On the sign-up page, enter your email address or tap on Sign up with Facebook.
- You can enter the email again as confirmation or enter your Facebook login credentials.
- Create a password for the account. Ensure you enter a password that you can remember.
- Next, enter your Date of Birth.
- Select your gender, whether female or male.
- Enter the Captcha code to prove that you are not a robot.
- Finally, click on the Sign-Up button to complete the sign-up process.
After the sign-up process, you will be in a position to easily access the account. This will offer you a free trial for 30 days. After that, you will need to upgrade to a Spotify Premium account which lets you enjoy its features at a fee.
Linking Spotify Account to Alexa
To have Spotify to work with Alexa, you will need to link your accounts. The procedure is straightforward and easy to follow as shown below:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
- Click on the menu icon and go to Settings.
- Select Music & Media
- Click on Link account on Spotify.com.
- Click on login to Spotify button which is highlighted in green.
- Enter your email address and password (for your Spotify Account) or tap on login with Facebook to enter your Facebook login information.
- After reading the terms and conditions, click on I Accept at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you are done, you will get a confirmation that your Spotify account has successfully been linked. Click on the X symbol at the top-right corner of the screen to close the window.
Note: only one Spotify account can be paired per Amazon account, and thus for Alexa-enabled device.
Set Spotify as your Preferred Music Service
After successful linking of Spotify account to Alexa, you need to set Spotify as your preferred music service. Amazingly, Amazon has been good enough to allow you to use Spotify as your default audio provider. To achieve this, follow the steps outlined below:
- Click on the menu option at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings and then select the Music option.
- Tap Choose default music services.
- Next, select Spotify and click on DONE.
Spotify Alexa Commands to Use
Now that you have managed to connect Spotify to Alexa, there is still one last thing to take into consideration. What do you say to Alexa? Below are some of the essential voice controls that you can use to choose and play music.
Take note that each command must start with the word “Alexa.” Moreover, since you have set Spotify as the default music service, there is no need to mention the word Spotify at the end of the command. For example, you will not need to say “Alexa, play (song name) from Spotify,” instead omit the phrase “from Spotify” from the command.
“Alexa, play (song name)” – plays a song by the name mentioned.
“Alexa, play (song name by the artist)” – plays a song by the specified name of the artist.
“Alexa, play (playlist)” – plays songs from the playlist.
“Alexa, play (genre)” – plays a genre of music.
“Alexa, which song is playing?” – tells you the information on the type of song that is playing.
“Alexa, Spotify Connect” – you can use this command when you are having issues connecting to Spotify.
“Alexa, who is (artist)” – gives you the information about the musician of the specified song.
“Alexa, volume up/volume down/mute/unmute/volume 1-10.” – this controls the volume of the Alexa-enabled device.
“Alexa, play/pause/stop/resume/shuffle/unshuffled/previous.” – this controls the type of song you are playing.