Different type of fonts come in handy when you are writing a document or preparing a report. Having a large variety of fonts on your Windows certainly helps in making your documents unique. Although there are a lot of fonts that comes pre-installed in the Windows but sometimes we like to download and use a new font. It might be a new font that you saw on a website or it might be a very unique font that you would like to have. The problem is, fonts won’t work automatically. Once you download a font, you will have to install it.
So, here are a couple of methods that can be used to install fonts on your Windows
Method 1: Installing the Font (Windows 10, 8 and 7)
The easiest way is to just download the font from the website.
- Go here or here (or use any other website that you trust) to download a font.
- Once it is downloaded, simply double click the font file. If you are using Windows 7, unzip the fonts file if it is zipped. A zipped font file won’t work on Windows 7.
- Now, you should be able to see an install button. Click the Install Click Yes if it asks for permission.
- Wait for it to install
Once the installation is finished, you should have the font in your Microsoft Word and all the other programs that uses a font.
Method 2: Using the Font Control Panel (Works for Windows 10 and 8)
You can also use the Font Control Panel to install your custom/downloaded font.
- Press Windows key once
- Type fonts in the Start Search
- Click the Fonts Control Panel from the search results
- Now, you should be able to see all the fonts installed on your computer.
- Open the folder where you downloaded the new font
- Click (and hold the left mouse button) the newly downloaded font file and drag it into the Fonts Control Panel. Now, release the mouse
The font should be added to your installed font list and it should be available in all the programs.