If you can see a msdownld.tmp in one of your drive or multiple drives then don’t worry. The folder is usually hidden and can be seen by turning on the “show hidden files” option. The msdownld.tmp is mostly empty and isn’t harmful at all.
msdownld.tmp folder is used by the Internet Explorer 6 installer. It is a temp folder, as you can see from its extension, and is sometimes left in the drive after the installation of the Internet Explorer. The setup doesn’t remove this temp folder due to Microsoft design or glitch.
The problem can easily be solved by deleting the msdownld.tmp folder.
Locating and deleting the msdownld.tmp folder
- Hold Windows key and press E
- Click View then check Hidden items. If you can’t see this option then press the ALT key and choose View and select For Windows 7 or Windows Vista, Click Organize and select Folders and Search Options
- Click View tab and select Show hidden files, folders and drives and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types
- Click Apply then select Ok.
This will make sure that you can see the msdownld.tmp folder. Now follow these steps
- Type msdownld.tmp in the search bar (located on the top right corner)
- Wait for the search to get complete
- Now right click the tmp folder and select Delete. If it asks for permission then select Ok
- Repeat the step 3 for every msdownld.tmp folder you see.
Now your computer should be fine. If you want to change the settings back to the original ones for hidden folders then repeat the above steps and select the Don’t show hidden files, folders and drives option.