If you are on Windows 10 and trying to update your build to 14986 then you might face the Error 0x80242006.
This error is quite common among the users trying this update and it can be caused by many things including Windows defender or stopped BITS.
Method 1: Rename Update Folders using a Batch File
net stop wuauserv
Ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
- Click File then select Save As…
- Name your file rename.bat and press Enter
- Now locate the file that you just saved and right click on it then select Run As Administrator
- Let it run and try to update the Window once it is finished
If that still doesn’t solve your problem then go here and download the Windows Update Troubleshooter for your Windows version. Once it is downloaded, run the downloaded file and troubleshoot your windows.
Once it is done, restart your computer and try again.
Method 2: Disabling Windows Defender and Enabling BITS
The problem can be caused by Windows Defender. So disabling Windows Defender might solve the problem.
- Hold Windows key and press R (release the Windows Key).
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter (If you don’t have gpedit.msc, see steps (here))
- Go to Computer Configurations > Administrative Templates > Windows Components.
- Click Windows Defender and double click Turn off Windows Defender
- Select the Enabled button and select Apply. Click Ok.
To manually start BITS
- Hold Windows key and press R (release the Windows Key). For Windows 7, click Start > click All Programs > click Accessories > select Run.
- Type services.msc and press Enter
- Locate and double click Background intelligent Transfer Service BITS
- Click Start then click Apply and click Ok.
Now try the Windows update again and if it doesn’t work then restart your computer and then try.