Internet errors are common when you are browsing over internet. It can be server side or client side. A 404 not found error is related to a response by a server indicating that the requested page of a website cannot be found or is inaccessible. You would probably have received this kind of error message while browsing the web. In fact, professional websites have their own customized 404 pages designed to revert their users to the other useful content on their websites. Microsoft displays its own error code during Windows Update based on 404 error.
Causes of 404 not found error:
There might be multiple situations when this error message occurs.
- Mistyping the URL is the major cause of this error message to appear. That’s the reason websites have their own 404 page.
- Sometimes, it might occur when a website has deleted or moved the page which user has requested.
- A server provides the space for a website to be accessed online. If it malfunctions or shuts down, this error might appear before the users accessing the website present on that server.
- An ISP can also block certain websites in order to restrict the user’s access. This can also divert the users to 404 error.
Solutions to fix 404 not found error:
404 not found error can be fixed in different ways.
- At numerous occasions, you might be receiving this error due to bad server request. In this regard, you are required to refresh/ reload the page. You can do so by pressing the F5 key on the keyboard.
- As stated above, a mistyped URL can also cause this error. So, by correcting the URL and reloading it again, you can get rid of this error message.
- If you are accessing a certain page of the website but you are experiencing the 404 not found error, then try accessing the Home page of the website as that particular page might have be removed or modified.
- In case, if nothing works for you, you should try to clear your browser cache and cookie files. To do so, you can follow this guide. After the clearing process is finished, restart your PC or browser to see if it works.
- Changing the DNS servers might be the last option if the whole website is inaccessible at your end. A DNS Server is a translator that translates a website URL entered by a user to an IP address that a computer can understand. Follow this guide to change the DNS server in order to surpass the 404 not found error.