After a long time waiting (didn’t they announce dark mode back in May 2018?), Facebook has finally started rolling out a dark mode. As a hidden option in the beta version of the app. Well, no worries, we can still work with that.
Enabling this hidden dark mode requires a rooted Android device. If your device is not rooted, search Appuals for Android root guides.
In any case, the procedure is really quite simple. Just follow our steps and comment if you have any issues.
Enable Facebook Messenger Dark Mode
- First, you need to uninstall Messenger on your device.
- Now install the beta version of Facebook Messenger. You can either sign up for the official FB Messenger beta program on Google Play, or download a copy of the beta version APK.
- Launch the beta Messenger app to go through the set-up wizard. Then close it.
- Next, install a terminal program if you do not already have one. Termux and Terminal Emulator are great choices.
- Launch the terminal app on your device, and type ‘su’ to grant it root privileges. Accept the dialogue box if you are SuperSU rooted.
- Next in the terminal type: am start -n “com.facebook.orca/com.facebook.abtest.gkprefs.GkSettingsListActivity”
- This will launch a secret menu. At the top under “Search Gatekeepers”, type ‘dark’.
- Now click each result to change them to “Yes”, as pictured in our screenshot.
- Close the menu, and re-launch FB Messenger.
- Tap on your profile picture, scroll down the settings, and toggle Dark Mode.