Skype has been one of the most trending apps for video calling and chat. I remember making my Skype account back in my school days, and video chatting with my friends whom I just met in the morning. Fun days. And since many of us have made our accounts in the young days, there are chances that you are not happy with the username or the display name. Now that you are mature enough to realize what were you even thinking back then, and now you just want to change your name. But how? Let’s learn that through the steps that will guide you on how to change your Skype name from the computer or from your phone.
The method for both is pretty much the same. I will share how I changed my Skype name first from my computer and then from my phone. But before that, let me clear one thing out. There is a major difference in the Skype display name and Skype username.
A Skype Username is basically the account with which you have made your Skype account in the first place. You cannot change this no matter what. Unless you change your email address and make a new Skype ID with that address.
Skype display name on the other hand is your nickname or the name that you want people to see you with. This is what will show as your name if anyone searches for you on Skype. A display name can be changed on Skype as many times as the user wants. There are no restrictions on this.
Changing Your Skype Display Name from the Computer
- Sign in to your Skype account for which you want the display name to be changed.
- Right, where your name is written, that is towards the left side of the screen, click on the icon for your name, which is h- in my case as shown in the image below.
- When you click on this icon, all the options for setting your account show up here for your display name, number and other details.
- While your name is placed right in the center of this page, you will notice a pencil sort icon to the right side of the name.
Click on this.
Clicking on this icon will make your name editable. The text icon will appear right at the end of your name which can be used to backspace your name, and here in the space, you can now write down your new Skype name.
The method for changing the Skype name from the phone is pretty much the same. I will share the screenshots anyway to show you how it can be done without much hassle.
Changing Your Skype Display Name from the Phone
- Open Skype from your phone. This is how Skype looks like from an android phone.
- Click on the icon that says 1 here in my application. For you, it is probably going to show you the initials of your display name.
- This is where you can access the settings for Skype.
Click on the settings icon which is in the right corner of the screen as shown in the image below.
- Here, you will find all the settings for editing your Skype account. Click on the pencil like icon here to edit the display name just how we did from the computer.
- Backspace the display name that you are currently using, add the name that you want people to see, and click on the tick icon that appears at the foot of the screen. Your name for Skype has successfully been changed.