Windows 10 is the latest and the greatest of Microsoft’s operating systems. It has more than 500 million users and more are upgrading all the time from the previous versions of Windows. Microsoft has been pushing this operating system quite aggressively by reducing security updates for previous ones and urging users to upgrade regularly.
What is a Recovery USB?
It is important to know the function of a recovery USB before we make one, a Recovery USB is used to repair the operating system or any system files in case it gets damaged or corrupted. In today’s world, there are numerous malware/viruses who are always after your personal files. Windows’ security features manage to prevent most of these from gaining access but sometimes certain viruses can pass through the security. These Viruses also delete certain system files and Windows can no longer function correctly.
This is where the recovery USB comes in, it repairs and restores the operating system, system files, and personal settings. A recovery disk was always included with computers in older times but they have disappeared recently and manufacturers no longer include them with the machine. Therefore, a recovery USB is very important for emergency situations.
How to Create a Windows 10 Recovery USB?
In this step, we will be creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB. Make sure that the USB is at least “16GB” in size and doesn’t have any personal files. All the data on the USB will be deleted during the process.
- Plugin the USB on a computer with a health operating system.
- Open File Explorer and click on “This PC“.
- Right-click on the USB and select “Format“.
- Click on the “Start” button to start the formatting process.
- Wait for the process to be finished and click on the “OK” option to close the window.
- Press “Windows” + “R” buttons simultaneously to open the Run prompt and type in “Control Panel“.
- Click on the “View by” option and select “Large Icons“.
- Click on “Recovery” and select the “Create a Recovery Drive” option.
- Check the “Backup System Files to the Drive” option and click on “Next“.
- Select the “USB” that we plugged in and select “Next“.
- Click on the “Create” option and the process will be started.
- The process might take a couple of minutes or even an hour depending upon your computer.