Since you need a password to log in to your Windows, having a Password Reset Disk at your disposal will help you change your password in case you forget it. If you ever forget your password, all you have to do is plug in the Password Reset Disk and you will be good to go. So, this is a great way to back up your password.
You can easily create your Password reset Disk from within the Windows. But, you will need an external drive like a USB stick. So, make sure that you have an extra USB stick before attempting to make a Password Reset Disk.
Creating the Password Reset Disk
The steps for creating the Password Reset Disk are given below
- Plug in your external drive
- Hold Windows key and press R
- Type control panel and press Enter
- Type Create a Password reset disk in the search bar (top right corner)
- Select Create a Password reset disk. Note: Make sure you have a flash drive attached to your computer otherwise it will give an error.
- The Password Reset Disk wizard should start now. Click Next
- Select the disk (from the drop down menu) that you want to save your Password on
- Click Next
- Enter your current password and click Next
That’s it. It will only take a few minutes and you will be good to go. Once done, you can keep the external drive at a safe place. Now, if you ever forget your password, just simply plug in your Password Reset Disk (the external drive you just used) and click on Reset password from the Windows sign in screen.