There are many chances that a mail from a certain email address always ends up in your spam folder in Gmail. This could be because Gmail identifies it as spam, even if it does not contain any content that could be dangerous. Gmail, however, allows you to create a list which could keep such important emails out of the Spam folder. This process of making an email address or a few email addresses that you never want to send to the Spam folder as a separate list could be referred to as whitelisting. When you whitelist a set of emails on Gmail, you will never see them in the spam mail because you have created a filter for this which keeps such emails out of the Spam folder.
Here is how you can whitelist all the email addresses which you never want to miss out on.
- Open your Gmail account where you have to go through this problem of finding important emails in the Spam folder. Towards the right side of the screen, you will find the wheel icon for settings as shown in the image below. A dropdown list will appear once you click on the settings wheel icon. On this list, there would be a tab for ‘settings’. Look at the second arrow in the image below.
- The settings tab will direct you to all the settings page for your Gmail account. Find the heading that says ‘Filters and Blocked Addresses’.
- You will find some additional options here for your Gmail account. You need to click on the blue text here that says ‘Create a new filter.
- The purpose of creating a filter is too keep emails from different addresses organized. Once you click on ‘Create a new filter’, a box will appear on the screen which will ask you to fill out the form. Here, you will enter the email address which is important for you and you want to whitelist it and keep it out of the spam folder.
- All that you need to add in this form is the email address in the ‘from’ section. The rest is not important. I added an email address as an example, and I was asked the function that I want this filter to implement on the emails that I receive.
- To keep important emails away from the Spam folder, you will have to check the option for ‘Never send it to spam’, as shown in the image above. Once you have selected this option, hit the create filter blue tab which will now create this filter for you.
- This filter and the email address will also be visible in the settings for ‘Filters and Blocked Addresses’ where you can always edit it, and also delete it you don’t require this filter anymore.
If you find this difficult, Gmail has another way of whitelisting an email address.
- For this, you will have to open an email from the ID that you want to be in your priority list so that it does not go in the spam folder. When you open the mail, towards the right side of the page, you will find these three vertical dots, which will show you more options for the email that you can run for your emails. Click on these dots.
- To whitelist this email address, you will click on the option that says ‘Filter messages like this’ from the dropdown list options that appear on the screen.
- The same filter form will appear in front of you like the previous method. The only difference here is that you won’t have to add the email address, it will automatically be written as you clicked on the option for ‘Filter messages like this’ in the previous step.
- From the next window that appears, check the option for ‘Never send it to spam’ and click on the blue tab for ‘Create Filter’. You can always select more from the list as you are creating a filter.
- Your filter has been made successfully. Now any email from this address will never go to your spam mail because of this filter that you just created.