Graphs add a very good impact of your work on the reader. It is a summarized form of representing data, facts and figures. You can make graphs on your Google Sheets as well. Once you have added the data in the specific rows and columns follow the steps as mentioned in order, to make a graph on your spread sheet.
- Add the data.
When entering the data, you need to be sure of how you want your data to be represented. You either want the x axis to represent a certain value, while the y axis should represent another value but of what, that, will be designated by you.
- Select the data that you just entered.
If you click on the first cell, and then press shift and click on the last cell, all the cells that have data that you want a graphical representation for, will get selected. You can do it manually too, but this might help you save time.
- Once the data has been selected, click on the Insert Tab which is on the top tool bar for Google Sheets.
- From all the options that appear after you click Insert, you have to find ‘Chart’, and click on it to make a chart for the data you have entered.
- Your chart has been created. You can notice how the data that I entered for all the three subjects has been separated by the colors and the bars show the total of each student. Both the axis’s have been marked according to the data that I entered.
- Now if you want to change the style of your chart, you can do that through the Chart Editor which appears on the right of your screen.
- You can change the type of the vertical bar graph, and make it horizontal, or make a curve graph. Look at the options in the picture below. These are all the formats that you can choose from.
- You can also edit how the bars in your graph are represented. You can show them as a percentage of 100, or you can show one bar for all three subjects which will divide the bar in three colors. Or, you can make separate bars for each subject, which is the simplest form of a chart.These options can be accessed by the ‘Stacking’ drop list option. Where you will be given an option to choose ‘none’, ‘standard’ or ‘100%’.
- You can select your data range again to alter your chart. You either want all of the data on one chart. Or you can make a different chart for each subject, or student.
- Decide your axis’ here. You want to switch the axis, you can do that from this option on the Chart Editor, which says Y-Axis.
- The series, which in this case are the three subjects, can be edited, removed or a label can be added to them by the following way.
You can also add a new series to the data that you have already entered.
Clicking on the Add series icon which looks like a grid will open a dialogue box as shown in the picture above. Add your details and you are good to go.
- The Chart Editor shows an option for ‘Customize’. This is a very handy tool for you to customize your graph according to your requirements. You can alter the chart style, chart and axis tiles, series, legend, horizontal axis, vertical axis and the grid lines. You can explore these customization options once you have made the graph. And can always undo the effects if you don’t like them.