PDF (Portable Document Format) files are useful when it comes to sharing, viewing and reading a document. Anything that has writing and pictures can be converted to a PDF file. PDF files are important because they allow people to read, share and print documents on all types of computers. Also, PDF files are the standard these days. Whether you are applying to a college or you are sending a document to your boss, sending a PDF file is usually the standard and the formal way. On the other hand, sharing a Word file will let the receiver edit the file and/or change the whole format of the document.
In most cases, you would want to have a PDF version of your document. So, here are a few methods with the help of which you can convert your word document to a PDF file.
Method 1: Directly From the Word
Microsoft Word already has a built in function that lets you save your document as a PDF file. This is pretty quick and works just like saving your regular word file
- Open the word file that you want to save as PDF
- Click File
- Select Save As. For Microsoft Word 2013 and later users, you will need to select My Computer after selecting Save As
- Now, you will see your Save file box. Select PDF from the drop down menu in Save file type section
- Navigate to the location where you want to save the file, give your file a name and click Save
Method 2: Using an Online Converter
This is also a very simple method that requires only a couple of minutes to convert your file to a PDF file. However, this method requires you to have an internet connection.
You can simply search for a “Word (or your file type if it is something else) to PDF converter” on Google. You will see a lot of online converters that will convert your file to a PDF file. You can use anyone of them. All you have to do is upload your Word file on the website and then press convert. The online converter will take some time and provide you with a downloadable PDF version of your file.
Note: There are plenty of FREE Word to PDF converters available on the internet and they are legit. Most of them work flawlessly and take just about a minute to convert. So, don’t use a converter that asks for a credit card or isn’t free.
Method 3: Using Google Drive
This method is a bit long and tedious but it works. If, for some reason, you don’t want to or you can’t use the method 1 or 2 then this should do the job.
- Open your browser
- Sign in to your account
- Click on the box (like rubix cube) on the top right corner
- Select Google Drive
- Click New
- Select File Upload
- Select the file that you want to convert to PDF and click Open
- Now right click the uploaded file from the Google Drive (you should be able to see it in your drive if it successfully uploaded), select Open with and select Google Docs
- Once the file is open, select File then Download as and select PDF document (.pdf)
- It will automatically download the file in your Downloads folder (or any other folder if you have selected that as a default folder for download).
Now, you should have a PDF version of your original file.