The PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format for documents containing both text and graphics that crosses the borders of application software, computer hardware and Operating Systems. A document that is in PDF format can be opened and viewed universally on any computer as long as you have an application capable of opening and viewing PDF documents. Files in the PDF format are kind of like an array of images bundled together, but the PDF file format is a file format for documents, not images. PDF files, can however, be converted into JPEG (also known as JPG) – the most common file format for images, used to compress images into viable storage sizes while still maintaining as much quality as possible.
People often need to convert the individual pages of a PDF file or document into individual JPEG files, but this is not a functionality native to most PDF viewers. That being the case, you can’t use just any normal PDF viewer to convert a PDF file into a bunch of JPEG files – it isn’t as simple as that. However, that’s not to say that converting a PDF file into a bunch of JPEG files is impossible or even some kind of rocket science – it is not. It is entirely possible for you to convert a PDF file into a set of JPEG files, and there are generally two different paths you can take if you want to go about doing so – you can either use a program designed specifically to convert PDF documents into a bunch of JPEG files, or you can convert PDF into JPEG online.
In any case, the following are the absolute most effective methods you have at your disposal if you want to convert PDF into JPEG:
Method 1: Convert PDF into JPEG using PDF to JPEG
PDF to JPEG is an application designed for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 that can be downloaded from the Windows Store and can be used to convert PDF documents into sets of JPEG files. To convert PDF into JPEG using PDF to JPEG, you need to:
- Open the Start Menu.
- Search for “store“.
- Click on the search result titled Store.
- Navigate to the Apps tab of the Windows Store.
- Type “pdf to jpeg” into the Search field.
- Click on the search result titled PDF to JPEG.
- Click on Get or Install (whichever applies in your case).
- Wait for PDF to JPEG to be installed on your computer, and then click on Launch (the Launch button will automatically replace the Get or Install button once the program has been successfully installed).
- Click on Select File with the PDF to JPEG application, navigate to the directory where the PDF file you want to convert to JPEG is located, click on it to select it and click on Open.
- Click on Select Folder, navigate to where you want the converted JPEG files to be saved, and click on Select Folder.
- Click on Convert. The conversion will begin, and each page of the PDF document you selected will be converted into a separate JPEG file and saved to the location you specified – all you need to do is wait for the entire PDF file to be converted to JPEG.
Method 2: Convert PDF into JPEG using Adobe Acrobat Pro
Adobe Acrobat Pro is an incredibly powerful program, so powerful that it is even capable of converting PDF into JPEG. However, Adobe Acrobat Pro is a paid program, not freeware, so if you want to convert PDF into JPEG using this method, you need to have a licensed version of Adobe Acrobat Pro. If you do have Adobe Acrobat Pro in all its glory, however, you can convert PDF into JPEG via the application if you simply:
- Launch Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Click on File > Open….
- Navigate to where the PDF document you want to convert into JPEG is located, click on it to select it and click on Open.
- Click on File > Save As….
- Open the dropdown menu located directly next to Save as type: and click on JPEG (*.jpg, *jpeg, *jpe) to select it.
- Navigate to the directory on your computer where you want the converted JPEG file(s) to be saved.
- Click on Save. The PDF document you previously opened will be converted to JPEG and saved in the location you specified.
Method 3: Convert PDF into JPEG online
Last, but certainly not the least, you can also convert PDF documents into sets of JPEG images online. If you would rather not download a program onto your computer whose only purpose is to convert PDF documents to JPEG, if such programs are not available for your Operating System or is you would simply prefer a much more portable and on-the-go option, converting PDF to JPEG online is perfect for you. To convert PDF to JPEG online, you need to:
- Click here to be taken to PDFtoJPG.Net.
- Click on Choose a PDF file.
- Navigate to where the PDF document you want to convert into JPEG is saved, click on it to select it and click on Open.
- Select the JPG quality you want the converted images to have (Good – 150dpi – For PDF with illustrations is the recommended setting).
- Click on Convert PDF to JPG.
- Wait for the PDF document to be converted to JPEG. Each individual page of the PDF document will be converted into a separate JPEG file.
- Once the PDF document has been successfully converted into JPEG, you can View or Download each of the individual JPEG files that have been created, and you can also choose to Download all of the files as a .ZIP archive.