Adobe Photoshop is the most used graphics editor by experts around the globe. It was initially created in 1988 and since then, it has become the ‘de-facto’ standard in the editing industry. It comes with a lot of customizable options which allows the user to render the image any way he wants.
One noticeable option which you might need as a graphics designer in Photoshop is fonts. Since Photoshop already has all the predefined Windows fonts, you might be looking on how to add more fonts to the software suite. The answer is simple; simply install the font on your Windows. When you install it in the operating system, it automatically gets picked up by Photoshop and you can use it wherever you want.
Note: Not all fonts are supported by Photoshop. If you see some of the fonts showing up but others missing from the font selection menu in the application, it probably means that they are not supported (yet!) on the platform. You might have to see for other alternatives.
Downloading and installing Fonts on Windows
Like mentioned before, we will try downloading the fonts on your windows machine. The Photoshop software will automatically pick up the fonts from the system and allow you to select them whenever you want. Make sure that you have an active internet connection and administrator privileges.
- Navigate to the font site from where you want to download the font. Download the font to an accessible location.
- Now double-click on the .tff file (or any format) and when the new window pops up, click on the install button present on the top of the screen.
- After installing the font on your computer, press Windows + S, type ‘font’ in the dialogue box and open the corresponding system setting.
- Once in the font settings, you can check whether your desired font is installed or not. On the search bar, type the name of the font which we just installed. See if it displays as an entry. If it does, it probably means that the font is installed and incorporated in your system properly.
- You can click the font for more information related to it. Move the slider according to your preference to select the normal size for it. If you wish to uninstall it in the future, you can do so from here.
If you want to install fonts directly from the Windows store, you can do so from the font’s main menu. It has a redirection link for Microsoft store from where you can install the font directly instead of download manually and then installing.
- Navigate to the Fonts menu like we did earlier on and click on Get more fonts in Microsoft Store.
- You will now be redirected to the store with the fonts category opened. Select the font which you want to use and install it from the store.
- Make sure that you restart your computer and Photoshop before attempting to change the font from within the application.