Error 0x80630203 on Windows is associated with the Homegroup. It is impossible to join or leave the Homegroup, view the Homegroup password or even change it when this error occurs. This is usually caused by a related folder taking over the admin possession or the peer networking service not running.
In this article we will see the various ways to fix this error. If the first method doesn’t work, the second should. Else, try both of them to fix the error.
Method 1: Creating a “MachineKeys” New Folder
You may have to provide administrator permission for every step in this method.
- In Windows Explorer, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\ and rename the “MachineKeys” folder to “MachineKeys_old”.
- Create a new folder called “MachineKeys” under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\
- Right-click on the folder and select “Properties” and then select the “Security” tab.
- Click on “Edit” under “Groups or user names:”. Make sure “Everyone” is selected and then Allow “Full control” under “Permissions for Everyone”. Repeat the same for “SYSTEM”.
“Modify” will automatically be checked when you check the Full control box.
- Click on OK and then restart your computer. You should be able to create or leave your Homegroups now.
If you don’t find the “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\” folder on your PC, it means that directory is hidden. Copy and paste the path in Windows Explorer and then press Enter to go access the folder. To make the entire ProgramData folder visible, open “cmd” with as an administrator and then type “attrib C:\ProgramData -s -h -r /s /d”.
Method 2: Starting the Homegroup Services
A stopped Homegroup service can be a reason for this error. You can manually start it or set it to start automatically.
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard, type “services.msc” and hit the Enter key.
- Search for the service named “HomeGroup Provider” and select Properties. Under the “Startup type” choose Automatic and then select “Start” if the service hasn’t been started yet.
- Repeat Step 2 for the following processes.
- HomeGroup ListenerPeer Name Resolution Protocol
Peer Networking Grouping service
Peer Networking Identity Manager service
PNRP Machine Name Publication Service
- Try to perform actions on your HomeGroup now or restart your computer and then try again.