We all know that Gmail is the most widely used email client these days because of its user-friendly interface. People use it for both personal as well as for professional communications. Generally, the applications or the services that we use most frequently are expected to be highly flexible so that anybody can customize them according to his own needs. Similarly, Gmail also provides you with the capability of modifying its interface and features in a way that best suits your needs. In this article, we will explain to you how you can customize Gmail on the web.
How to Customize Gmail on the Web?
Gmail provides several different customization options for its users. In order to customize it on the web, you will need to perform the following steps:
- The first and the most obvious customization that you can perform on your Gmail is to hide the leftmost pane of the Window. For doing that, just click on the navigation drawer located at the top left corner of your Gmail window as highlighted in the following image:
- You can always click on this icon again to get the left pane of the window back.
- Because of the limited screen space, there are only a handful of tabs that appear in the left pane. However, Gmail provides you the liberty of allowing more tabs to appear. For doing that, you need to click on “More” and all other hidden tabs will appear in front of you as shown in the image below:
- In order to make these tabs disappear again, you will have to click on “Less”.
- If you want to hide any of the default tabs that appear on the left pane of your Gmail window such as Inbox or Sent etc. then simply click on that tab and drag it down to the “Less” label and then click on it to hide that particular tab.
- Now we will explore the various different Settings of Gmail. For doing that, click on the gear icon located at the top right corner of your Gmail window as shown in the following image:
- Click on the Display Density option in order to adjust the View of your emails as highlighted in the image shown below:
- Now select any desired View from Default, Comfortable, and Compact as shown in the following image:
- You can also choose which message categories you want to be displayed as the Inbox tabs. For doing that, click on the gear icon and then select the Configure Inbox option from the menu that appears as shown in the following image:
- Now check all the checkboxes located beside the message categories that you want to appear as Inbox tab and then click on the Save button in order to apply your newly made changes as shown in the image below:
- You can even select a customized theme for your Gmail inbox. For doing that, click on the gear icon and then select the Themes option from the pop-up menu as shown in the following image:
- Now select your desired theme and then click on the Save button in order to apply your newly selected theme to your Gmail inbox.
- If you want to make more detailed changes to the outlook of your Gmail inbox, then you will have to do it by going explicitly to the Settings. For doing that, click on the gear icon and then select the Settings option from the menu that appears as shown in the image below:
- In the Settings window, there are multiple different tabs for different kinds of Settings. In the Labels tab, you can select which labels you want to view or not. Moreover, you can also create new labels as highlighted in the following image:
- You can also allow Gmail to label your emails as important by making use of the Importance Markers in the Inbox tab as shown in the image below:
- You can turn your Chat on or off by going to the Chat tab as shown in the following image:
- In the General tab, you can perform the following tasks:
- Select the Display Language of your Gmail inbox.
- Set the Number of Conversations per Page by selecting the Maximum Page Size.
- Set the duration of Undo Send by specifying the number of seconds.
- Select the Default Reply Behaviour from simple Reply or Reply-All.
- Choose to Enable or Disable Hover Actions.
- Choose the Send and Archive button to appear in your reply.
- Select your Default Text Style.
- Turn the Grammar Suggestions on or off.
- Turn the Spelling Suggestions on or off.
- Turn AutoCorrect on or off.
- Turn Smart Compose on or off.
- Turn Conversation View on or off.
- Turn Smart Reply on or off.
- Turn Keyboard Shortcuts on or off.
- Turn the Snippets on or off.
- Turn the Vacation Responder on or off.
- Select Icons or Text labels for your buttons.
- Add a Picture to your Gmail account.
- Add a Signature to the emails that you compose.
In this way, you can easily customize your Gmail inbox on the web by making use of the method stated above.