This error comes up when the automatic updates fail, i have usually seen this error on Windows 8 and 8.1. There are various reasons for the error to come up and most common of them all is the corrupt data and permissions issue which doesn’t allow the update to install itself.
In this guide; i will list down the steps you can take to fix this issue. There are a two methods listed here, one of them should work for you.
Method 1: Reset Windows Update Components
1. Click Here to download the Windows Update Diagnostics utility.
2. Run the downloaded file; follow any prompts on screen and wait for it to finish.
3. After it has finished, reboot your computer and test if you can now run update.
If the issue exists, move to Method 2:
Method 2: Restart Update Services
1. Tap or press Windows Key + R, type services.msc and then press Enter.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
3. Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service and check the Status.
4. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Services, and then click Start in the menu.
5. Locate Windows Update and check the Status.
6. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start in the menu.
6. Close Services.
After the service has been restarted, re-do the steps and then test to see if the issue has been resolved.