Error code 0x80072ee2 is an issue that occurs when Windows can’t connect to the Microsoft update servers, and return the result you’re expecting. Due to this, it might occur with various Store apps, as well as with built-in utilities such as Windows Defender.
What you will notice happening is when you try to update Windows Defender, you will get an error message saying that Virus and spyware definitions couldn’t be updated, and it will give you a description like the one you would get when your computer is offline. This, once more confirms the theory that it’s a problem with the server connection.
However, Windows 10 has fixed a large part of this issue which started happening with older versions of Windows, and the problem is now easily solvable, just follow the instructions below.
Method 1: Restart and try Windows Update
Glitches like this happen quite a lot within Windows 10, and often a simple restart solves it. This time, however, you will also need a few extra steps afterwards.
- Press simultaneously the Windows and X keys on your keyboard, and from the Shut down or sign out submenu, choose Restart. After the Reboot,
- Open Windows Defender by pressing the Windows key and typing in Windows Defender, then opening the result.
- On the right side, under Scan options, choose Full and press Scan now.
- Restart your computer again.
- Once the restart is complete, don’t update Windows Defender with its built-in update. Instead, press the Windows key and type in Check for updates, then open the result.
- Press the Check for updates key, and Windows Update should detect that there’s a pending update, and install it. Reboot in the end.
Method 2: Manually Install the Updates
If the method above do not work for you then go to here and download the latest updates manually.