This TurboTax error code is one of the most common issues which can appear regarding this software. There are not a lot of information online regarding this error code and users often don’t how to approach this issue. The common error message which is displayed along the error goes as follows:
Could not connect to the update site (Error 42015: The proxy name could not be resolved: ‘http’
The error usually appears when users are trying to update their tool and it prevents them from following through the process. Follow the instructions below in order to find out how to fix this issue without any problems.
In Order to Start: Backup Your Data
Before you proceed with the solutions below, you should know that there is a slim chance you might lose your tax data in the process. You can evade this simply by backing up your data before you try to fix the issue. Follow the steps below in order to backup you tax data:
- From the File menu in the top-left corner of TurboTax window, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
- Navigate to where you want to save your backup files.
Note: If you’re saving data to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing that step, copy or move the backup file to your device.
- In the File name box, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original file (for example, add “Backup” or “Old” to the file name).
- Click Save and then close TurboTax.
- Restart the program and open the backup copy to make sure it’s not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.
Solution 1: Disabling the Use of Proxy Server
This is an official solution by the TurboTax forum moderators and it has seemed to help plenty of people who were struggling with the same issue. Using proxy servers can generally be quite useful but the problem is that plenty of programs actually fail to work together when your Internet connection is tunneled through a proxy or a VPN.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner and open Internet Options.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and open LAN Settings.
- Locate the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” option and uncheck the box next to it.
- Apply these changes and try updating your PC.
Alternative: If you have disabled the Internet Explorer or if you uninstalled it because you were not using it, you can disable the same setting simply from within the Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel by searching for it in the Start menu or by using the search button located at the taskbar
- Use the View by Category option and click on Network and Internet. Section. When the new window opens, locate the Internet options section and click on it.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and click on the LAN Settings button located at the bottom of the page.
- At the bottom of the page you should be able to see the “Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox” option so make sure you uncheck the box next to it and click OK until you Apply all changes.
Solution 2: Download the Update Manually
The problem does not necessarily have to have something to do simply with your computer. The problem may also be with the servers used to download the update as no servers are perfect. If your Internet connection is working perfectly for other purposes, there may be some problems on the other end so you might need to download the update manually.
- Make sure you close TurboTax and other programs which may be running besides your browser which you will use to download the update.
- Download the manual update file from this link and make sure you choose the correct year. You will probably use the 2017 file located at the top of the page.
- Save the file from the link you visit to your PC and open it after it has finished downloading in order to start the updating process.
- Follow the instructions on-screen in order to proceed with the update. The software should now be properly updated without the need for an automatic update.