Users sometimes face the error when installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 and its later edition Windows 8.1. Unlike older versions .Net Framework 3.5 is a Feature on Demand in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8. You encounter errors when enable any feature because Windows tries to establish a contact to Windows Update to download the missing information to install the particular feature.
Usually cimproper network configuration and configuration of PC to install updates in the environment can affect this process of installing .Net Framework first time.
Method 1: Enable .NET Framework via Command Prompt
- Firstly, you will need to go to the windows source, whether it is USB device or the DVD.
- Locate the Sources folder, open it up. Now look for SXS folder. Copy the sxs folder. This is usually located in c:\windows\sources
- Now paste the SXS folder in the C:\ drive in order to prevent any errors. (Note: Make sure you have enabled the Read Access is enabled for the SXS folder or else you will get the 0x800F081F error)
- Right click the start button on the bottom left, and click on the Command Prompt (Admin)
- Upon opening up the Command Prompt, Navigate to the C: drive by using the command C.. then press enter. Now input C.. again. Press enter. Until you see C:\windows – once you are at the c:\windows prompt; execute the following command either by typing it or copy pasting from below
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:c:\sxs /limitaccess
If Method 1; doesn’t work then proceed to Method 2:
Method 2: By Uninstalling updates from Programs & Features
- Go to Control Panel
- Open Programs & Features
- From the left pane; choose “View Installed Updates”
- Type KB2966826 in the search bar to search for this update.
- Double click on this update to uninstall it.
- Then from the left pane; choose Turn Windows Features on or off
- Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 by clicking on the square box at the start of the name. Then Click OK.
Once the feature is enabled and the update is installed; re-test to see if you still get the error.