When taking an image backup in Macrium, you may notice the error ESENT 642 in relation to wuaung.dll. This is actually a Windows update error and is caused by an corrupted Windows Update Datastore.
To fix this issue, we’ll perform a health scan and then restore the datastore if it’s indeed corrupted.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Windows Powershell (Admin). If you’re using an earlier version of Windows, open the Start Menu, type cmd, right-click and open as an administrator.
- Type the following command in the shell: exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth. Wait while the scan finishes and displays the scan results. If the results don’t show an error, click here and install the latest version to your computer.
- If the scan produced an error, run this command and wait for the datastore to be fixed:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Once the restoration is complete, you should be able to take Macrium backups with no errors.
Alternatively, you can download this script by Shawn Brink to reset and reregister Windows Update components.
- Download the .bat file from here.
- Right-click on bat file and select Run as Administrator.
- Wait for the script to do it’s work and then restart your computer when it’s done.